Sesame Street Season 47 Episode 4701 - Be Kind to Your Worm

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4701 - Be Kind to Your Worm
HBO Premiere: Saturday January 14, 2017
PBS Premiere: Monday September 18, 2017

Oscar participates in the "Be Kind to Your Worm" day activities because he knows it will make his best friend Slimey happy. Guest: Gwen Stefani.

This episode features an all-new street story, Murray's report on "Friendship Day" and a new Elmo's World ("Friendship").

If you saw "Be Kind to Your Worm" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Why wasn't this episode aired first?
I'm guessing that it was just because last week's episode was a better general introduction to the season's theme of kindness. This one was about kindness, but it was more specific in focusing on Oscar and Slimey, while last week was about why it's great to be kind whenever you can. Sets up the season better as an opener.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oddly enough, like last week, the cable listing says this episode is 4702 despite being 4701.

Is it just me, or did everybody sound out-of-voice in this episode? I don't know how to describe it, but . . . everybody just sounded off. Oscar aside, Elmo and Slimey sounded deeper than usual, Alan sounded like he was about to lose his voice half the time, and Telly sounded like he was performed by somebody other than Marty. I agree it was nice to see an episode with Oscar and Slimey as a main focus. Still hard to get past the new, friendlier-looking Oscar puppet they're using this season.

"Be a Good Friend" with Gwen Stefani was a rather catchy song; I also loved the sort of-MTV-esque ambiece of it, making it feel like a real music video, like we might have seen back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Was surprised to see Murray since this was the first season officially without Joey.

The burger claymation demonstrated exactly what I think is wrong with Cookie's Number of the Day bits: they don't take the time to count the individual cookies like the chef did with the individual meat patties, cheese slices, and buns. Also, they really need to work on the contrast when keying, especially with a black background.

Today's EW seemed to flow a little bit better than last week's, or at the very least, the pacing seemed more adequate, whereas last week's felt rushed.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I feel like this was two stories in one; the holiday thing and Slimey moving away. The latter part was definitely better. If they had picked one aspect to focus on, the story would've been a lot stronger.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The cold open with Oscar and Telly was fun. Telly's bits throughout the street story were funny. I think this is the first time Slimey talked in complete sentences. The new EW was fun. I liked seeing Abby and Rosita pop up. I also liked Smartie playing the game with Elmo.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think this is the first time Slimey talked in complete sentences.
I recall Slimey speaking in complete sentences by Season 38, but even by then, it seemed to be a slow, yet progressive process since Season 32 or so . . . maybe Slimey was still learning how to talk during that time.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think this would've worked better without Caroll's voice. It's much harder to emote as a character when you're just dubbing over lines, so it won't have the same impact as the actor. If Caroll was on set (which I don't think he was), it might have worked better.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As with OSX, there's a listlessness in Oscar's voice that sounds weak, almost to a point that Caroll sounds like he's straining to do the voice; Big Bird's had the same problem for a number of years now, but it seems as though Oscar is catching up - one of the defining qualities of Oscar's voice is that out-the-corner-of-the-mouth growl/snarl that's now seriously lacking. Then again, we should be glad that Caroll's still willing to keep going, even if it's just on the sidelines or in a booth doing just the voices.

But as for this episode, I noticed there were a number of time's where Oscar's dialogue and mouth movements weren't in-sync with each other.

Censored

Reaction score
We should also be glad that Mr. Spinney is still allowed to do so.