Sesame Street Season 46 Press Kit; HBO premiere set for Saturday January 16, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Most people finding their favorite segments on YT from when they were young aren't gonna say "Wow, I remember this, but the quality is terrible."
I've gotten my fair share of comments from people when I had Big Bird's Birthday posted saying how terrible and unwatchable the quality was, but I see your point.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, I completely agree,the whole "Sesame Street is gonna have sex and nudity because it's on HBO" thing really bugs the heck out of me because it is completely inaccurate,not to mention the fact that the whole joke was never actually funny, yet they still continue to make it.
It's annoying because it takes the most basic of research to see that HBO has had children's programming, and indeed an HBO family channel. HBO used to be the exclusive place to see movies before they hit home video (and even before home video caught on). But like I said, the clues were there that HBO wanted to beef up its children's programming wit things people would actually watch. Seriously, I caught some of Crashbox (that stop motion game show thing I was talking about) and it was...dumb. Just...dumb.

The general public wouldn't really care about video quality when it comes to finding stuff they remember. Most people finding their favorite segments on YT from when they were young aren't gonna say "Wow, I remember this, but the quality is terrible." They'll just enjoy being able to see something they remember. In fact, sometimes the worse the quality is, the more rare something seems, ergo makes it more valuable and more a worthy find.

And remember when people would tape trade/buy home videos just to see one segment? That's no longer the case anymore.

If you look at a release such as, The Best of Elmo 3, virtually the entire main feature consists of segments either on their YT channel or SS.org. It almost serves no purpose. That's the type of thing it's referring to. Why would I pay $15 dollars for a DVD that consists of nothing I can't see for free on their own website?
DVD's are at this point for collectors only. I'm not going into that pros and cons of streaming again, but for the most part, streaming is cheaper and easier. Sesame Street home video was essentially for the "shut the kids up for a half hour" market, and it especially became prevalent with Elmo-themed releases and compilations of episodes. We're collectors, mind you. We are actively seeking out more Old School type releases and reissues of older stuff from VHS, even if they're just bonus features. The main consumer stopped buying DVD's unless they're really cheap because they can get most of everything online, on demand, or as a subscription service.

However, it seems there's another issue about. Merchandising sales period. Now, I have to admit, I'm a Hasbro fanboy. I love my Transformers, G.I. Joe, Mr. Potatohead et al, and I was excited by Hasbro's acquisition of the Sesame Street license. But I can't say I'm not disappointed they really haven't done much with it, and I'd say low sales of those kinds of toys are to blame for the lack of potential. Kids don't really buy toys anymore (disproportionally, of course, some lines continue to sell well), because they aren't Apps. There was a glaring lack of collector's stuff this past milestone, but even if there were it isn't the huge market you'd think it was. If they get so much off of merchandise, they need to sell that merchandise. Though the Funko Sesame Pops are selling well. I can never find them anymore.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So I guess this is the spot to talk about Season 46 pre-premiere stuff.

To that end, two things.
1 There's a video posted at toughpigs where some guy from a group called Fast Company quizzes some SST characters on what they think certain corporate terms mean. And I'm a bit disappointed that :laugh: didn't know what "pivot" meant, didn't he learn that when Ms. Suttan Foster sang him that song about levers?
2 There's a Season 46 commercial, if you can call it that. It includes some characters saying the letters "H, B, O", then :batty: counting to 2, followed by :grouchy: proclaiming viewers to "have a rotten day!", with :wisdom: capping the bit reminding people to remember he's part of the gang. The weird thing is I've been catching this commercial this week early in the 7-8 AM hour on Disney XD of all places. :confused:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The weird thing is I've been catching this commercial this week early in the 7-8 AM hour on Disney XD of all places. :confused:
Yeah,i've seen commercials for Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows on Disney XD. I guess Disney is alright with promoting other networks' stuff as long as it's not in direct competition to something they're showing like a movie or new episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah,i've seen commercials for Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows on Disney XD. I guess Disney is alright with promoting other networks' stuff as long as it's not in direct competition to something they're showing like a movie or new episode.
This is something added in by the cable provider, I believe. Sometimes they cross advertise shows. I'm like 75% certain it's an ad the cable provider patches through. I've seen Nature Cat ads on various kid's channels myself, and they have the exact time and channel number on them.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Here's a picture from the Mother's Day episode,it's Two Headed Monster's mom

Frankly this just confuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.