Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4626 - Elmo and the Bookaneers

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4626 - Elmo and the Bookaneers
HBO Premiere: Saturday July 2, 2016
PBS Premiere: Monday March 27, 2017

The Bookaneers, a band of book and reading-loving pirates led by Tina Fey, comes to Sesame Street! They invite Elmo to become a Bookaneer, and together they look for the pirates' treasure, the library. Also featuring "B is for Book" with Pharrell, Cookie Monster's Smart Cookies ("Making Whoopie in the Library") and Elmo's Wold ("Books"). Brought to you by the letter B and the number 1.

This street story is originally from Season 38, Episode 4135.

Please Note: In recent years, the 26th episode would usually conclude the season. However, Sesame Workshop has expanded each season to 35 episodes with the 2015 HBO deal. Season 46 is scheduled to conclude on Saturday September 3 on HBO and will begin on PBS this fall.

If you saw "Elmo and the Bookaneers", let others know. Please like this post and share your thoughts.

Last edited:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The cold open with Grover carrying a lot of books was funny. The B is for Book song was catchy. The Smart Cookies bit was fun. It was nice seeing Roosevelt Franklin and Betty Lou in the background.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Good lord, this episode is nine years old! I mean, it was a fun episode in 2007, but why repeat such an old episode? Especially considering this was before the last time the set went through its facelift (which could be forgiven for the most part, since most of the episode took place inside Hooper's, but we do see the Fix-It Shop, which has been gone all these years). Also, the cropping was terrible, and I don't just mean cutting off parts of faces in close-ups, but when we're supposed to see certain words and phrases on-screen but we can't because of the cropping, that's just not good.

The Smart Cookies was perhaps the best yet, especially with all the old-school cameos like Betty Lou, Roosevelt Franklin, and the Ladybugs Picnic picture on the wall. The librarian kind of reminded me of Easter Egg, lol.

And wow, "Books" is an ooooold Elmo's World!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This makes me wonder. If they used this street story, which is from the year before they switched to HD and they often show Elmo's World segments, most of which are from before the switch; Why can't they show more pre- HD segments?

And I also wonder why they specifically used this street scene, do they just not have any other recent episodes about books or reading?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Good lord, this episode is nine years old! I mean, it was a fun episode in 2007, but why repeat such an old episode? Especially considering this was before the last time the set went through its facelift (which could be forgiven for the most part, since most of the episode took place inside Hooper's, but we do see the Fix-It Shop, which has been gone all these years).
The fact this episode was included in the reruns proves either Sesame Workshop was that desperate for money that they'd reuse an episode that old before the HD turn over or that the HBO deal for that many episodes was that last minute. I give them credit for not just recycling an episode from last year or two, but this just goes to show how beneficial the HBO first deal was.

And I wouldn't doubt the cropping was crap for a second. Like I said a milliondy twelve times already, BTL used CGI curtains on the sides of the screens when they had to reuse older footage. Still don't see why that's somehow inconceivable, but making older footage look like bad syndicated prints of certain sitcom reruns (UHG! What they did to Married with Children...YUCK!) is more feasible.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And I also wonder why they specifically used this street scene, do they just not have any other recent episodes about books or reading?
It's more about getting this popular Tina Fey episode into a 30-minute format so that it can continue to air.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I'm watching B Is For Book and I just noticed that it sounds like Elmo is being played by Kevin Clash.