Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4606 - Valentine's Day

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4606 - Valentine's Day
HBO Premiere: Saturday February 13, 2016
PBS Premiere: Monday February 13, 2017

It's Valentine's Day on Sesame Street! Elmo and Abby make valentines for each other and learn about the importance of friendship. Also featuring Cookie Monster's Twilight parody and Elmo the Musical-Airplane. Brought to you by the letter V and the number 14.

This episode features an all-new street story.

If you saw "Valentine's Day" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This episode was pretty good. I like that they brought back the Brandeis puppet. I liked the song at the beginning. I liked seeing Slimey for the first time in a while. I was surprised that before the closing song, they played Elmo and Abby's Valentine's Day song from YouTube.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kind of feel like this episode was rather predictable on my levels: I had a feeling that Oscar would initially be delighted that people would be leaving him alone and not bringing him any Valentine's, but later be upset for that very reason because getting Valentine's makes him grouchy, which makes him happy - which Slimey managed to do just that.

Similarly, I had a feeling something was going to happen to Elmo's special Valentine for Abby once he sat it down to play fetch with Brandeis; sure enough, Brandeis took it and ran off with it and ruined it. I wasn't expecting Alan to burn Abby's cookies though, but I pretty much figured both Elmo and Abby would still appreciate each other's gifts.

Only I would find a flaw like this, but for this to be a Valentine's Day episode and SST being in New York, I really feel like this episode should have had a winter background with traces of snow on the ground and the humans wearing sweaters (Alan was even wearing shorts); unless this was supposed to an early spring V-Day.

I'm sure many people won't particularly care for this episode since it, once again, ship teases Elmo and Abby, which many people don't care for.

That said, very clever and appropros that the Letter and Number of the Day would be V and 14, respectively.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Only I would find a flaw like this, but for this to be a Valentine's Day episode and SST being in New York, I really feel like this episode should have had a winter background with traces of snow on the ground and the humans wearing sweaters (Alan was even wearing shorts); unless this was supposed to an early spring V-Day.
I found that really weird as well. It was February in New York,why the heck did it look like spring or summer. But this winter has been a lot warmer than other winters,but then again i'm not sure New York has been all that effected by the unusually warm winter. Abby has changed the seasons before,maybe everyone was tired of it being cold so she magically changed the weather.
I'm sure many people won't particularly care for this episode since it, once again, ship teases Elmo and Abby, which many people don't care for.
Yeah i'm still a bit bitter about them killing the 23 year old Elmo and Zoe ship. Oh well,it was still nice to see Rosita in the episode.

Anyone else think the puppet they used for Oscar looked really weird?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I found that really weird as well. It was February in New York,why the heck did it look like spring or summer.
SESAME STREET STAYS UP LATE was another oddity too, becuase that was New Year's Eve, in NYC, the dead of winter, surely there would have been snow on the ground then. At least the characters were dressed for winter and the trees were bare, so that's something.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I thought this was the best-paced story of the season so far. There seemed to be small parts where they cut things from when they taped, but otherwise, it didn't feel rushed; it felt longer than it actually was. I loved the fact that Oscar has his own little subplot (though, what's up with the puppet they used?)

Absolutely no letter/number segments outside the dance breaks; wow. And to fit the theme, they shorehorned in a web exclusive video. Still don't like having an Elmo segment at the show's end; takes away from other segments.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yep this street story was well paced and actually seemed to have a plot. I think we should have more episodes like it, I really like the idea of a subplot while the main action is going on. My biggest complaint though is we still haven't seen Big Bird in any of the street stories, not even at the beginning when the characters introduce the episode. I thought it was stated that Big Bird would be one of the major six Muppets on the street but we still haven't seen him.

zhelder

Reaction score
This episode didn't dazzle me. It felt too babyish (as has most of this season to me).

Also, as Abby and Elmo were in Big Bird's nest, there was one thing I couldn't stop asking myself...

WHERE IS MR. HOOPER'S PICTURE?!?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Absolutely no letter/number segments outside the dance breaks; wow. And to fit the theme, they shorehorned in a web exclusive video. Still don't like having an Elmo segment at the show's end; takes away from other segments.
While I no longer can watch these until 9 months from now, I really am starting to dislike shooing out the very same letter and number segments that made Sesame Street what it is because they have to cram too much into a half hour. And yes, I really dislike the fact that they feel the need to shoehorn Elmo segments in there at the expense of the letter and number bits among others. Totally the reason why they no long have the "This episode is brought to you by" bit.

To be perfectly honest, not many changes to Sesame really shift me, but this really feels like one of the "heart and soul" decisions of why Joey left. All I can say for season 47 is that I hope they have a better way to spend the time than cramming overly edited to the point of incoherence ETM's and decades old Elmo's Worlds (that frankly benefit from editing). Half Hour Sesame Street is the new normal, you think they'd find a better way to get the most of the series in half hour form.