Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4604 - Saved by the Superfoods

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, if there's one joke I should have got in the New Snack parody, the character of Googly Eyes is a spoof of the character "Crazy Eyes"

So that's something.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I said early in this thread Googly Eyes scares me. The puppet looks freaky.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The puppet was an odd choice, but looking at them side by side, it seems fairly accurate.

Only other character I know about is the Slavic woman, and only because of a bit on The Comedians.

I wish they'd put the darn thing on YT so I can show it to someone who has a working knowledge of the show to compare it to something.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
In case no one watches the PBS premiere tomorrow, here's a better quality copy of Orange is the New Snack:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is the odd-looking frame rate part of the parody (I don't even know what they're parodying), or is it just this particular upload?

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
So here's my review of Saved by Superfoods. The main aspect of the episode makes it seem like an HD version of one of those "health" episodes from 2005/2006. Did you enjoy those? No. Did you get sick of them quickly? Yes. Then you'll probably hate this too.

So the cold open might be the most boring one yet. It's just Cookie Monster eating fruits and vegetables while talking about how they're good for you. This feels like on of those "Stay happy, and healthy on Sesame Street?" cold opens from season 36. And yes, you will here me compare this episode to a season 36 episode frequently.

But the street story is not from season 46 (I'll get to why that's a good thing later), it's from season 41. Anyway, a new superhero team of foods help the citizens of Sesame Street by singing songs about eating healthy, while Super Grover tries to help them using more "super" methods as he calls them. This feels like if you took episode 4105 (Super Grover Meets Super Chicken) and combined it with any other season 36 episode (OK, that's an overstatement). There's not much else to it, but the songs are fun, and I do like that instead of making a new song to get Super Grover to eat breakfast, the remake an existing one. It's an alright story.

And now the letter of the day, H. We get (sigh) another "letter" segment. But this one's a cartoon! More often than not, when a "letter" segment is a cartoon, it's also a song. This one is no exception. It's not even a good song. It's a generic song. It sounds like hundreds of other songs. Things are always nice in the song. That's why I don't remember it.

Anyway onto Orange is the New Snack. Starring Prairie Dawn as Piper Snackman. First off, I like Stephanie's take on Prairie. She sounds really good (unlike a certain other recast, but I won't complain about that until season 47). Also, to answer your question, Jen did in fact play Red (and it sounds better than her new big role on the show, but I said we'll get to that later). I have also never seen OITNB, but I find it shocking that they'd parody it on SST. That said, it made laugh hard. Especially the second half of it. Highlight of the episode? Defenitely.

Now the number of the day. It's 10, and now we come to another problem especially common in season 46, a lack of number segments. While they did improve this in seasons 47 and 48, season 49 had a 9 episode streak of number segment-less episodes. Anyway, since the number of the day is 10 and the episode was about healthy eating, my theory is that they wanted to put the 10 Turtles remake in the episode, but had no time left in the episode.

And now Elmo the Musical: Tomato the Musical. I really can't think of may necessary cuts they can make (other than that Bounce song and Horatio's part, both of which I can't stand), but whatever cuts they made didn't really affect the story, and at least they didn't cut out the final song, which I loved.

All and all, this was a good episode Orange is the New Snack was great, the street story was decent, and there wasn't much in the episode I downright hated. It gets a 7/10.

sesamegirl

Reaction score
So here's my review of Saved by Superfoods. The main aspect of the episode makes it seem like an HD version of one of those "health" episodes from 2005/2006. Did you enjoy those? No. Did you get sick of them quickly? Yes. Then you'll probably hate this too.

So the cold open might be the most boring one yet. It's just Cookie Monster eating fruits and vegetables while talking about how they're good for you. This feels like on of those "Stay happy, and healthy on Sesame Street?" cold opens from season 36. And yes, you will here me compare this episode to a season 36 episode frequently.

But the street story is not from season 46 (I'll get to why that's a good thing later), it's from season 41. Anyway, a new superhero team of foods help the citizens of Sesame Street by singing songs about eating healthy, while Super Grover tries to help them using more "super" methods as he calls them. This feels like if you took episode 4105 (Super Grover Meets Super Chicken) and combined it with any other season 36 episode (OK, that's an overstatement). There's not much else to it, but the songs are fun, and I do like that instead of making a new song to get Super Grover to eat breakfast, the remake an existing one. It's an alright story.

And now the letter of the day, H. We get (sigh) another "letter" segment. But this one's a cartoon! More often than not, when a "letter" segment is a cartoon, it's also a song. This one is no exception. It's not even a good song. It's a generic song. It sounds like hundreds of other songs. Things are always nice in the song. That's why I don't remember it.

Anyway onto Orange is the New Snack. Starring Prairie Dawn as Piper Snackman. First off, I like Stephanie's take on Prairie. She sounds really good (unlike a certain other recast, but I won't complain about that until season 47). Also, to answer your question, Jen did in fact play Red (and it sounds better than her new big role on the show, but I said we'll get to that later). I have also never seen OITNB, but I find it shocking that they'd parody it on SST. That said, it made laugh hard. Especially the second half of it. Highlight of the episode? Defenitely.

Now the number of the day. It's 10, and now we come to another problem especially common in season 46, a lack of number segments. While they did improve this in seasons 47 and 48, season 49 had a 9 episode streak of number segment-less episodes. Anyway, since the number of the day is 10 and the episode was about healthy eating, my theory is that they wanted to put the 10 Turtles remake in the episode, but had no time left in the episode.

And now Elmo the Musical: Tomato the Musical. I really can't think of may necessary cuts they can make (other than that Bounce song and Horatio's part, both of which I can't stand), but whatever cuts they made didn't really affect the story, and at least they didn't cut out the final song, which I loved.

All and all, this was a good episode Orange is the New Snack was great, the street story was decent, and there wasn't much in the episode I downright hated. It gets a 7/10.
how much longer until you post funny farm?