Sesame Street Kicks off 35th Season Celebration in Toronto

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the City of Toronto (Canada) has announced a Sesame Street event during our WinterCity festival next month. The Sesame Street WinterCity performance is supposed to launch the show's 35th anniversary celebration with a special sing along with Bob McGrath, Elmo, and Grover Sunday, February 8 at 11 am in Yonge/Dundas Square!

What I'm trying to find out is if we will be getting the actual puppets or if they are just sending costume characters. My hopes are high, given that last summer we had Elmo & Kevin Clash live at the CNE for "the world's largest hokey pokey" (which I missed!).

I emailed the festival's media contact at City Hall, but he said he was unsure if it was the actual puppet characters or just mascot costumes. The woman who arranged the event for the city is supposed to email me next week when she returns from a holiday.

I'll keep everyone posted and either way I'll be at the event and try to get some pictures.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I heard back from the contact at the City of Toronto today. Unfortunately it's just the costume versions of Grover and Elmo (from Sesame Street Live) appearing, but it should still be a great event for kids and diehard Sesame fans in Toronto.

King Prawn

Reaction score
Hope you have fun Buck-Beaver, don't forget to tell us how it went.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Thanks...I'm hoping my niece & nephew will like it, I'm mostly going for them. I barely tolerate the puppet Elmo. The costume version isn't enough to get me down to Dundas Square in the middle of winter without the kids in tow.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buck,

Were you able to attend the event as planned? How was it?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi Philip,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend, because of a last minute family emergency. I understand it was a lot of fun but there was very little media attention likely because it was just Bob and a couple of Sesame Street Live-ish mascots and not the actual characters.

I've been trying to find an article or photo online but so far I've seen nothing.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. Hope and pray that everything is ok with your family.

Appreciate the update. Let us know if you find out anything.