Sesame Old School DVD has edits

MrsWembly

Reaction score
That's terrible. I went to Wal-Mart today to look for it but it wasn't there. Are you guys sorry you bought it? :confused:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
MrsWembly said:
That's terrible. I went to Wal-Mart today to look for it but it wasn't there. Are you guys sorry you bought it? :confused:
Definitely not. Here's why:

1) A good-quality uncut copy of #1 is currently available on the trading circuit. I have it.
2) The DVD version of #1 has a Raposo song I've been tracking down for ages: A Little Bit at the Beginning (Good Things Growing Better).
3) I've also got a good-quality logo-free Noggin copy of #536, so the uncut version should be easy to assemble.

chpoof

Reaction score
I was talking with a friend of mine about the set last night. He was very excited about it until I told him Stevie Wonder's "123 Sesame Street" was cut. He cried out, "Whaaat?????" and went from being very excited to very disappointed. Unfortunately that will probably cost them a sale, but I explained to him that it was a music rights issue.

I'm still thankful for this set and appreciate Sesame Workshop's efforts. My favorite skit is left intact (which makes me a very happy camper! :smile: ), but I can certainly understand JLG's disappointment.

Heck, it's edited, but it's still fantastic. :wink:

sesameguy

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
2) The DVD version of #1 has a Raposo song I've been tracking down for ages: A Little Bit at the Beginning (Good Things Growing Better).
This is indeed good news, Boober_Gorg! I've also been hoping that the Joe Raposo version of that song would appear again someday. I don't like the edits either, but I'm thankful they're at least trying to make up for it by providing more rare clips.

I can't wait to hear Joe sing it again. Just to confirm, this is the filmed version that begins with the baby chick hatching out of an egg, right?

Drtooth

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Instead of having to pay millions of dollars again to Stevie Wonder, the musical film "Olver" (which is what the Anything Muppets sang in the premiere song), and the instrumental Bach piece (played during the "washing" segment from Ep. 1), they fill the time with other pieces from the time period.

It's not because that girl was naked in the shower! :smile:

They copywrited BACH!!! Lemme guess? Pepsico, or some random Shampoo conglomerate owns them. I mean, the other two... fine... but BACH?!?!

I'da felt better with that being cut for the naked child.

BUt all and all, at LEAST they didn't cut it by 15 minutes to shove in Elmo's world segments...

(Quietly waiting for the obvious "Don't give them any ideas" reply)

NantoSeiken

Reaction score
MrsWembly said:
Not at all, it's a great set and I'm enjoying it immensely. There were a few cuts in the Muppet Show season one box for music clearance reasons also, and I'm not sorry that I bought that one either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Neither am I (about TMS S1). If I didn't know about the edits from this site, I probably wouldn't even have noticed them.

jisforjump

Reaction score
Edits or no edits, it was still nice to see the old clips on DVD again. The one thing I don't understand, is the same clips were played over, and over again.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
jisforjump said:
Edits or no edits, it was still nice to see the old clips on DVD again. The one thing I don't understand, is the same clips were played over, and over again.
If you watch the pitch reel, Joan Ganz Cooney explains that replaying a short clip a few times throughout helps a child to grasp the idea better. Kinda like a commercial. The more you see it, the more it imprints on your mind. :smile:

Rubber Duckie

Reaction score
BillKal said:
The link above requires a Username & Password.
How do I get a username and password for that site? I desperately want to see the birth episode. It's number is 2615, I believe.