Separating the art from the artist: Is it always possible?

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Now that R. Kelly has been indicted today. I think now would be an appropriate time to bump this thread.

Here are some examples of people who have been/or at least rumored to have been involved with rape, pedophilia, racism, sexism, all around jerkish behavior, etc. that I'm still able to enjoy at least some of their work regardless:

NOTE: (Unconfirmed) indicates that the accusation hasn't yet been officialized. For all we know, some of the following may be rumors. I'm adding that distinction so I don't feel like I'm accusing some possibly innocent celebrity of something they didn't do.

-Dan Schneider. The only reason I don't watch his shows anymore is because the humor is too childish and silly for me now, seeing Gibby dump spaghetti sauce all over his own head on iCarly isn't exactly funny to a 20-year-old man after all. But I still consider him to be a large part of my tween/early teen years and respect his shows despite the fact that they are too immature for my tastes nowadays (unconfirmed).

-Morgan Freeman. His narration was actually a large influence on my video work. I used to produce Ken Burns-style documentaries about the history of the small Indiana town I live in and would always use a Morgan Freeman-esque voice. I even dubbed the narrator character "Jordan Freeman" as a tribute to the man. Not to mention, the fact that I consider his role of God in Evan Almighty to be one of the most insightful and surprisingly not blasphemous comedic depictions of God I've ever seen (unconfirmed).

-Rosanne Barr. The original Rosanne series as well as the pre-Conners reboot from early 2018 are still hilarious to me. I also can't help but laugh whenever I watch reruns of Last Comic Standing where she was one of the funnier judges.

-Seth Green. Although some are unaware of this, this actor was accused of alleged pedophilia last year. While it was probably just some sort of conspiracy due to the later revelation that his accuser had previously gotten in trouble for making false, similar claims against other celebrities. But I'm still not going to 100 percent discredit these rumors just in case they are true. I still think he's hilarious in Family Guy and Austin Powers. Not to mention, I always crack up at his Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs impressions. "Would you **** me? I'd **** me!". Funny every time lol. (unconfirmed)

-Nemao. A fan made Happy Tree Friends animator certainly never did nor has he been accused of anything evil per say but he is just an all around jerk. He has said racist things about Asian people, has a very big ego, and will literally bully anyone who even politely claims they dislike his favorite HTF character Giggles the chipmunk. He also uses that age old,

"I was just joking!" excuse in an attempt to defend inexcusable behavior afterwards every time.

-Skyler Page. I know the show was met to mixed reviews but I'm in the minority when I say that Clarence was one of Cartoon Network's best series of the 2010s in my opinion. Aside from a couple of weird episodes ("Little Buddy" comes to mind for example), I thought it was a very well rounded and funny carton.

-Fred Savage. For those who don't remember, at the very beginning of the #MeToo Movement in 2017 he was one of the first celebrities accused. While I'm assuming he didn't do anything too major because it's hardly been talked about since, it's still possible that he may have acted in a way that I don't personally consider appropriate towards women. I still love Oswald the Octopus though as well as his role as the little boy in The Princess Bride (unconfirmed).

-Liam Neeson. He recently said something very offensive about black people that I refuse to repeat on a family friendly site like this one. But either way, Qui-Gon Jin will always be the coolest to me.

-Kevin Hart. I am a strong supporter of LGBT rights and absolutely don't condone the fact that he thinks it's cool to call gay people homos and f*gs. But I still find his stand up, acting, and voiceover work (especially "The Secret Life of Pets" and "Captain Underpants") very entertaining.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Also @Flaky Pudding Morgan turned out to be a mis-understanding and he even went out of his way to apologize to the women who may have been uncomfortable around him.

Just something to consider.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Pfft.

Here's how to sum it up.

A democrat and a republican going at each other until they found peace.

A democrat and an indpendent going at each other.

Said republican going after previously mentioned said democrat.

And a wannabe democrat trying to use his "brilliant" knowledge with 1-2 sentences.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since Smash Mouth is apparently a thing again all of the sudden, I'm reminded that even though I may have really enjoyed some of their music growing up, since they were certainly one of those quintessential groups of the 90s and early 2000s with their music being everywhere: movies, TV, radio, commercials, what have you, Steve Harwell is, once again, proving what a d-bag he can be - not just because of his basic F-you attitude towards COVID-19, but he apparently also openly insulted a mentally handicapped podcaster who tried to interview him, experienced technical difficulties on his end; Steve basically said he had no time for this R-word, and left.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Steve has always been known to be a complete ******. The guy had a temper tantrum at one of his shows over the fact that a piece of bread was thrown at him. He also called a good friend of mine “retarded” because of his disability (he has cerebral palsy) on one of his radio shows.

EDIT: Oops, I see Snowth mentioned that up top

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm going to add Chevy Chase to my list.

Granted, it's not like he's a downright deplorable and despicable person by any means, but he is somebody who's made a lot of boneheaded moves in his career by running his mouth off and burning his bridges, and he just comes across as a real a-hole in real life. Having said that, I have enjoyed some of his roles in his career, but definitely not somebody I'd want to meet in person.