Segments acceptable in 70s/80s, but now no longer the case

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I also think the segment where an ape escapes from the A train and traveling to a birthday party would probably not be acceptable due to usage of a portion of the song "Happy Birthday to You", which was a copyrighted song. I do not know if that segment was ever shown on any reruns on Noggin. I know it was a segment on Maria's wedding episode, but I definitely know it was edited out of the Noggin broadcast.

Then again, the copyright for "Happy Birthday to You" may have expired in recent years and never renewed, so the segment may be reinstated for future rebroadcasts.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I also think the segment where an ape escapes from the A train and traveling to a birthday party would probably not be acceptable due to usage of a portion of the song "Happy Birthday to You", which was a copyrighted song. I do not know if that segment was ever shown on any reruns on Noggin. I know it was a segment on Maria's wedding episode, but I definitely know it was edited out of the Noggin broadcast.

Then again, the copyright for "Happy Birthday to You" may have expired in recent years and never renewed, so the segment may be reinstated for future rebroadcasts.
It was ruled a few years ago that the copyright only applied to a specific arrangement, and that the lyrics and melody are public domain (and should have been for some time).

SesameMike

Reaction score
Did Big Bird sing Happy Birthday to Mr. Snuffleuppagus on his 2nd birthday?

They had a b-day party over by B-Bird's nest. The area was well-decorated with crepe paper and such. But when Snuffy blew out the candles -- with hurricane-force winds -- all the decorations were blown away. B-Bird took in stride, though, since the cake was still intact!

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
It's amazing to learn that some segments which people believed are politically incorrect, were kept intact in some of the HBO Max releases. I was rather surprised the "B for certain boy and Bosco taking a bath" was kept intact in the HBO Max offering of the James Earl Jones episode and maybe another one, despite there being nudity, if very brief.

Although cut from some HBO Max episodes, "D-Dart" was kept intact on some episodes, including Episode 484 and most likely Episode 2256.

"The Dialing for Prizes Movie" sketch was apparently kept intact on the HBO Max offering of Episode 666. I believe, for the most part, the segment was shown mostly in episodes featuring the letter F, episode 666 not being one of them.

Last edited:

crackmaster

Reaction score
Kermit gives a lecture using happy and sad face cutouts. Cookie Monster eats the happy face, and then Kermit starts screaming at Cookie to the point that the monster starts crying. That definitely wouldn't fly today.
I love that one due to the censored edit someone made of it. The best part was one comment - "Why am I here I was trying to watch Sonic Mania"

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I'm also surprised that HBO Max kept intact the "Queen Quinella" segment in a Season 3 episode, which had the Q word that rhymes with "beer" mentioned and displayed on screen. Guess the word is not as politically incorrect as people think.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I mean, the LGBT+ community has really re-claimed the word, so it's seen in a more positive light now. But yeah, it seems like the kind of thing that HBO would edit out.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
There is literally a TV show called Queer Eye For The Straight Guy on TV right now. I think that word's offensiveness has more or less worn off. The go-to slur for gay people nowadays seems to be the F-word that means "cigarette" in England.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I know of another segment which would give me the creeps if I knew of a friend or relative who fell over a tall structure (thankfully it never happened). The segment in question is "The D Building" where a guy stands on the bottom of a steel lowercase "d" being raised on a crane in the air and the guy is not wearing a safety belt. Creepy.

That segment does appear in at least two of the HBO Max releases.

ssetta

Reaction score
“People in Your Neighborhood” with the original fireman/postman terms. Those are considered racist now, and more recent remakes have replaced the terms with “letter carrier” and “firefighter.”