Segments acceptable in 70s/80s, but now no longer the case

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
How about these:
  • Kermit gives a lecture using happy and sad face cutouts. Cookie Monster eats the happy face, and then Kermit starts screaming at Cookie to the point that the monster starts crying. That definitely wouldn't fly today.
  • "Dialing for Prizes Movie Game"...because of the secret "F word."
  • Anything with Lefty the Salesman in it
There's nothing wrong with the secret F word one unless you have a dirty mind and interpret it as an adult joke.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
There would be nothing wrong about the secret F word - unless it's a person supporting PETA (sorry, LittleJerry, I couldn't resist).

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I also realize another segment that is not acceptable these days...

"Daddy Dear" contains a reference to smoking cigars mentioned by the "daddy". I am quite surprised that this segment aired as recently as 2000.

minor muppetz

Reaction score

"Daddy Dear" contains a reference to smoking cigars mentioned by the "daddy". I am quite surprised that this segment aired as recently as 2000.
I've never noticed that before. I guess it goes by so quickly that it's easy to miss.

wiley207

Reaction score

The same can apply to "The Alligator King," when the lyrics mention the fifth son's perfume "smelled like cheap cigars." That segment aired as late as 2006, and the lyric was also included in Episode 3408 when Celina's dance class acted out the segment.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I am tempted to think that the earliest Alphabet Chat segments and the earliest Monsterpiece Theater segments would not fly today, but Sesame Workshop did release the Alphabet Chat letter O segment and "Chariots of Fur" to the Classic clips section on the show's website, and the part where Cookie Monster smoked the pipe and ate it was kept intact.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am tempted to think that the earliest Alphabet Chat segments and the earliest Monsterpiece Theater segments would not fly today, but Sesame Workshop did release the Alphabet Chat letter O segment and "Chariots of Fur" to the Classic clips section on the show's website, and the part where Cookie Monster smoked the pipe and ate it was kept intact.
The pipe scenes were replaced in season 23, though some of them never aired after the changes (in fact, Ali Baba was last scene in season 21, Chariots of Fur and Upstairs Downstairs last in season 20, I can’t remember if Me, Claudias last aired in season 19 or 20... though I think all the others with the pipe were shown between season 20, when it was dropped from new segments, and season 23).

But in the age of official uploads, Sesame Workshop has made all of them except for The Sound of Music (probably more due to its music) officially available in some compacity.

Upstairs, Downstairs and Chariots of Fur are the only ones Sesame Workshop has officially made available online, neither have been pulled, though last year a special unaired version of Chariots of Fur, with reshot wrap-around, was included as part of an online compilation of spoofs.

The original versions of Me, Claudias, Chariots of Fur (which was part of an episode featuring it), The 39 Stairs, and Gone with the Wind have all been released on DVD.

One season 20 episode released as part of the digital Sesame Street Classics Volume 2 release includes Ali Baba, which I doubt was reshot (they’d have to reshoot the whole thing). At least they didn’t cut it from the episode, but it would be cool if someday Sesame Workshop were to upload it on its own or include it on a specially-assembled compilation.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
One season 20 episode released as part of the digital Sesame Street Classics Volume 2 release includes Ali Baba, which I doubt was reshot (they’d have to reshoot the whole thing). At least they didn’t cut it from the episode, but it would be cool if someday Sesame Workshop were to upload it on its own or include it on a specially-assembled compilation.
As far as I know, the episodes released in both volumes of the "Sesame Street Classics" digital download series were uncut - with everything kept intact as if they were originally aired.

And it's actually "Me, Claudius", not "Me, Claudias".

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Another segment that would not be acceptable: the one where the Count's bats decide to go on strike and mention it on air. Kids don't need to be exposed to such topic because of being sensitive in nature.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Realized another segment that would be unacceptable in reruns today:

"What Do People Do All Day?", because of at least one portion of the film footage showing the World Trade Center - that wpuld never be appropriate in a post-9/11 world.