See?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
"this discussion is now a moot point"... so?

There are many threads throughout this forum that are primarily irrelevant and the subjects have become fairly moot at this point in time - but we don't lock them down and halt any further discussion from happening just because the original question or topic has passed, been addressed, been answered, or is no longer an active or pressing issue.

Why lock it? What's the harm in leaving it open?

If people start to become offensive and start ranting, attacking, flaming or hijacking discussion, then those individuals and their posts should be dealt with. And if things continue to gets out of hand, then consider locking it.

The over all topic and discussion was not violating any of the forum guidelines and even though the "Robot Chicken" thread was unlocked, it does not mean there isn't more to be said on the overall issue, situation and discussion. Why stifle discussion from occurring by locking the thread?

Deal with problem posts and problem posters - don't preemptively shoot-down discussions out of fear of a potential issue that may or may not arise. Don't let a few bad apples prevent the rest of us from participating in civil discourse and fan fellowship. Don't punish the rule-abiding members and halt our discussions just because a few individuals cross the line.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The other thread was closed because: (1) the main issue of the Robot Chicken discussion was re-opened and (2) members were attacking other members personal lifestyle preferences which as we all know is against the rules.

If this discussion remains respectable towards one another, it will remain open.

As has always been the case, if you have an issue with a post the best form of action is to "report the post" as some of you do when issues arise.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To be honest, a member, Mikebenedict I believe, took issue with and singled out my citing my being gay as part of an entire discomfort with Muppet Central as of late. I should have expanded on that portion when it was originally posted, but I don't think it would have made a difference.

I do believe there's a majority rule of Christianity taking preference over gay members on Muppet Central that I have always tried to set right. Personally, I do feel a bit bullied by the rampant and protected Christian threads here juxtaposed to the mere mention of gay members being met with unwarranted commentary and criticism.

And to respond to Phillip - please do not refer to my life as a lifestyle preference. Using that terminology is a common offense that most gay men and women find insulting. Being gay is a way of life rather than a choice. Deciding to follow Christian theology and having faith in all of its teachings (no matter how awkward portions may seem) is a lifestyle choice and preference. My being gay isn't a lifestyle. It's not like we decide to wear yellow hats on Thursdays or go to church every Sunday. That's a lifestyle. We come in all types in a rainbow of flavors. Sound familiar? Is there any confusion why we appreciate Muppets?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I realize some of y'all don't do fanfics, but I just wanted to let you know that there's Coming of the Roads by WhiteRabbit, which has Zoot and Lips being more than friends (borrowed as plot from the Dorms, which you guys also don't do). My fic universe introduced the idea of Moulin (from Return to Labyrinth) and Rachel Bitterman being a couple. Of course, there's my fic And If That Diamond Ring Turns Brass, which is one huge criticism of denying love arbitrarily (because, let's face it, if this kind of thing happened in the Muppetverse, where creatures of different species can be in relationships, it'd be even MORE stupid). So, perhaps, the criticism that homosexuality is dissed every single time is based more on the fact you guys don't go to the places where the mentions exist and are accepted ("accepted" meaning someone liked it and it wasn't closed).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
To be honest, a member, Mikebenedict I believe, took issue with and singled out my citing my being gay as part of an entire discomfort with Muppet Central as of late. I should have expanded on that portion when it was originally posted, but I don't think it would have made a difference.

I do believe there's a majority rule of Christianity taking preference over gay members on Muppet Central that I have always tried to set right. Personally, I do feel a bit bullied by the rampant and protected Christian threads here juxtaposed to the mere mention of gay members being met with unwarranted commentary and criticism.

And to respond to Phillip - please do not refer to my life as a lifestyle preference. Using that terminology is a common offense that most gay men and women find insulting. Being gay is a way of life rather than a choice. Deciding to follow Christian theology and having faith in all of its teachings (no matter how awkward portions may seem) is a lifestyle choice and preference. My being gay isn't a lifestyle. It's not like we decide to wear yellow hats on Thursdays or go to church every Sunday. That's a lifestyle. We come in all types in a rainbow of flavors. Sound familiar? Is there any confusion why we appreciate Muppets?

I didn't say it was a bad thing that you're gay or anyone else here who maybe gay.

All I said I didn't and still don't get what you being gay has to do with the thread closures.

If you wish to privatly message me and explain what I missed or misunderstood please do.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that there are some inclusive fan fics out there and wish that could filter through the rest of the forum. Thanks for pointing that out. :super:

Also, I'm not upset, Mike. I was actually disappointed that I didn't get a chance to respond to your post in the other thread before it closed. I pretty much responded already in the earlier post.

I kind of feel that that thread was closed for bringing up the gay topic rather than anything you or I said and that's exactly what's been bothering me. It's not the first time. That's always handled in a clumsy way while all the grace is reserved for the religious topics.

I don't think it's intentional, but it happens. It's a particular hot-button issue with me because of all the work I put into the site over the years. There are times that I feel MC fails to be an inclusive place and it's important for me to be vocal about it - hence my signature tag.

There's no harsh feelings toward anyone. Just bringing it up an issue that is often overlooked. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think religion is always handled the way everyone would like, heh. But I do understand where you're coming from, Frogboy. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
"Since the thread in question was re-opened this afternoon, this discussion is now a moot point and is being closed."

...and that ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of the problems that were being addressed in the thread. The thread was about thread closures and deletions being WAY too common when they should be a last resort and done on rare occasion. A particular thread being closed was the beginning of the topic but the subject itself went beyond the closure of a specific thread so to close the thread calling the subject a moot point remains perhaps the best example one could make as to how bad the problem is. (And the very fact that i pointed this out will now probably lead to THIS thread being closed/deleted. Sigh.)
Yeah. I agree with that completely. And while we're at it, I agree with you White Rabbit, for telling off Mike B! See, I couldn't say that on the other thread. I mean, not that I like to be mean to people or anything, but the guy asks for it.

(And the very fact that i pointed this out will now probably lead to THIS thread being closed/deleted. Sigh.)
Yeah. I might not post on these forums anymore, if this thread gets closed as well. What's the point of joining a forum if you can't post your opinions on things?

Nick22

Reaction score
it seems like any time that there is a disagreement, the thread is closed.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
I personally think some of the moderation is a bit too controlling in general. For example, why are some thread titles superfluously altered? Why are full thread titles invisible from the main forum page now, forcing you to open the thread just to see the topic?