Season 1 DVD vs. Best of DVDs

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Man I used to have the whole 15 Best of set, but I had to sell it:cry:. God that's such a huge mistake, forget it I'm going to rebuy them, don't care about the price.

And yeah I'm someone who loves all the Muppet Show episodes. But some of my favorites would have to be Alice Cooper and Elton John. Plus many others.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I would try to track them down but at the moment I'm paying off other DVDs I want.
At least I have season 1 and my brother who gave it to me for Christmas has promised to buy the subsequent seasons as presents for me too

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Yeah that's true, Man please, Disney release more Muppet Show DVDs, and try your best to make them uncut. Right now, I do want to rebuy them, but like you Bill, I have other things I need money, most of which are Muppet Stuff to add to my already huge collection. Man so much Muppet stuff to buy so little money:sympathy: .

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Of course if you don't care for a particular guest star you probably won't care for his /her episode much though I'm sure most hardcore muppet fans wouldn't ever throw out any episode completely (well some might do but not very many I think)
It's not always the guest star that makes me not care for their episodes. While I don't care much for the Elton John episode, I do like all of his numbers. I just don't like how Elton John has a number almost every other act. I also don't like the lack of lines for The Electric Mayhem.

For the Harry Belefonte episode, I do just not care for any of the guest stars numbers (even Turn the World Around). I feel like they are too dramatic. I do like the opening scene with him and Crazy Harry, and I do like everything else in that episode.

The Mummenshaz episode isn't too bad, but two of their four segments do not have any muppets at all. I like their talk spot, and their notepad faces skit, but their clay faces skit starst to get boring after awhile. However, I do like Mr. Bassman and The Library sketch.

The Rudoplh Nureya episode, while perhaps an important episode in muppet history, isn't really one of my favorites. I think it is too classy. I don't care much for Swine Lake, Miss Piggy and Link's number, or the Veterinarians Hospital sketch in this episode. But I do like the closing number very much.

It's been a long time since I last saw the Beverly Sills episode, and I only saw it on Nickelodeon so I have't seen the Muppet University sketch, but the only thing about that episode that I really liked was the opening number.

The only things I liked about the John Denver episode are the opening number and Kermit's conversation with Beauregard before the opening number.

Pearl Bailey is another guest who I mainly just dislike the acts featuring the guests, but I also don't care for the backstage plot. Also, the sketches that I liked the most from this episode (the UK Spot and Pigs in Space skit) are not neccessarily sketches that I would put in a list of top ten favorites. Also, I only saw this one on Nickeldoeon, so I never saw the Muppet Labs skit from this episode.

Finally, the Senor Wences episode, while a funny idea having the muppets have their own puppet show, does get boring at times, especially during the guest stars acts, but guest puppeteer Bruce Swartz' puppet act also isn't that good, and I don't think Fozzie's puppet act is particularly amusing, either, though I do like all of the jokes that refer to the muppets being puppets (especially the scene where Kermit and Fozzie have trouble explaining to Gonzo what a puppet is). I do like the opening number, the Veterinarians Hospital skit, and The Swedish Chef skits from this episode. I really like fifth season epsiodes (especially ones that feature Lips and this one doesn't, though there are a lot of fifth season skits that I think are really terriffic that do not feature Lips, so no Lips is not always a con), but this one is one of the most boring ones.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
i have the new season set Disney came out with, I was gonna get rid of my 3 "Best of.." dvds, but i think now i'm just gonna hang on to em! :smile: Good idea or not? :smirk:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
i have the new season set Disney came out with, I was gonna get rid of my 3 "Best of.." dvds, but i think now i'm just gonna hang on to em! :smile: Good idea or not? :smirk:
It's a good idea for at least untill all five seasons are released. If you want your episodes uncut (Zoot ending excepted), then keep the Time-Life releases that have episodes that were cut on the season sets (so far the Vincent Price episode is the only one that's been cut on a season set and included in a "best of"). It's also a good idea if you want to keep the Brian Henson intros, Muppetisms, Muppet Movie Moments, and design sketches.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
I would hang on to them at least until I found out all the episodes on them will be uncut on the upcoming season sets. Initially, I was going to sell my Best of discs, but since I found out scenes were cut from Season 1, I decided to hold off on that.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
It's a good idea for at least untill all five seasons are released. If you want your episodes uncut (Zoot ending excepted), then keep the Time-Life releases that have episodes that were cut on the season sets (so far the Vincent Price episode is the only one that's been cut on a season set and included in a "best of"). It's also a good idea if you want to keep the Brian Henson intros, Muppetisms, Muppet Movie Moments, and design sketches.
What skit was cut from the Vincent Price episode?:crazy::confused:

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
crazed gonzo fa said:
What skit was cut from the Vincent Price episode?:crazy::confused:
The closing number where Vincent and the monsters sang "You've Got A Friend"

JJandJanice

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
I was thinking that Disney will probably come out with all five season myslef (which they still might), so I went ahead and sold my whole set of the Best of the Muppet Show. I had all 15 volumes and I went ahead and sold them and now I deeply reget it. So take it from someone who did it, keep them at least for now. I would say wait until the seasons of thoes Muppet Show dvds do come out, but of course it's up to you.

One thing I don't miss about thoes best of dvds though, are the extras like the movie ones and the Muppetisms, they just don't have anything to do with the Muppet Show, and although some are funny, I didn't really think all of them were that funny.

A lot of people say that the Brain Henson intro's should of been in the season dvd of the Muppet show. Well frist off, Brain didn't say something new about every Muppet show episode, so in some cases Brain would be talking about the same thing over and over agian. Plus you got the Muppet Morsels and that was just great and gave way more info on the Muppets than the Brain Henson intros did. Plus not to mention the Muppet Show Pilot and Pitch Reel. I don't know why they called that set of what looked to be commericals a "gag reel". But on the other hand while the time life dvds don't have a lot of episodes, what they do have is uncut, which is another reason why I really miss my best of DVDs (kicking myself for selling them). Man I hope Disney makes more Muppet Show complete seasons dvd's, please Disney and please try to get them uncut, but I'll still take them if they are a little cut.