Sam's color

Elchippo

Reaction score
:attitude: Here's something I've wondered for years.

As we all know, Bald Eagles are brown and white. While I agree that blue is a far more interesting color, what made them decide when designing him that Sam the Eagle should be blue? Does anyone know?

MWoO

Reaction score
Looks cool?

I dunno, but someone did do a repaint of the Sam figure from Palsiades to look like a more real eagle. Very interesting looking.

Tim

Reaction score
Seems like Jim and Don Sahlin like either blue or green a lot since so many of their creations were one of the other.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I was always really impressed from a design standpoint how varied the Muppets were in color, they're a rainbow! An obscure reference: X3 dropped Nightcrawler, because they felt that him, Mystique and Beast were too many blue mutants. The Muppets really never seem to run into that problem (SS excluded), but the popular Muppets could actually stand in line to make a rainbow!

Animal Fozzie Piggy Kermit Sam Gonzo

Okay so technically it's Piggy's hair that's yellow/blond and Gonzo's nose that's purplish, but you get the idea. :wink:

Xerus

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
I was always really impressed from a design standpoint how varied the Muppets were in color, they're a rainbow! An obscure reference: X3 dropped Nightcrawler, because they felt that him, Mystique and Beast were too many blue mutants. The Muppets really never seem to run into that problem (SS excluded), but the popular Muppets could actually stand in line to make a rainbow!

Animal Fozzie Piggy Kermit Sam Gonzo

Okay so technically it's Piggy's hair that's yellow/blond and Gonzo's nose that's purplish, but you get the idea. :wink:
I think Clifford can be considered the purple Muppet and you could probably call Gonzo indigo.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Move Piggy over to pink, Animal, Fozzie, Scooter, The Newsman, Kermit, Sam, Gonzo for indigo, and Clifford.
Ah, look out! It's the Muppet Rangers!

BEAR

Reaction score
It seems like blue was always the popular color for Monsters. All the Monster stars on Sesame Street are blue (with the exception of Elmo, of course)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
And Telly and Zoe... And all the other SS monsters that aren't blue.

BEAR

Reaction score
Right, but Herry, Grover and Cookie Monster being the original monsters on the show...they are all blue. Then 15 years later, Elmo, Telly and other colored monsters came by.