Rumor: Possible new Muppet Show after 27 years

Drtooth

Reaction score
And yeah, we were supposed to get a new show like four or five years ago, but Disney shelved it.
I'm GLAD they did. The concept was "America's Next Top Muppet" and was to be a limp parody of reality TV shows. That was NOT going to bring the characters back, that was going to be a cultural footnote, and I don't think any of the fans would have wanted that nonsense when they can have a more organic Muppet based project. For better or worse, The Muppets was a film that HAD to be made. It presented the characters as themselves, no gimmicks, no themes, no classic retellings... the film may be pretty modern, but it was a very classic version of the Muppets. And honestly, a film was better to relaunch than a TV show or a TV special. I kind of think an opportunity was lost by not doing the mockumentary... but over all a reality show parody would have annoyed fans and been too much of a reach for a more mainstream audience. I can't see any good potential that show would make.

Now, after the film, everyone's calling for a new TV show. A classic Muppet Show might just do wonders on television. A gimmicky one that can't find footing would disappear quickly.