Rubik the Amazing Cube

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Does anybody remember this lost 1983 gem? An animated talking Rubik's Cube which gives three Hispanic kids powers to travel, defeat bullies and villains, and even prevent disaster.

Ruby-Spears produced this series, and was originally aired during the 1983-84 season on ABC. Unfortunately, the series was cancelled after just one season because of the success of certain tiny blue creatures on NBC. In fact, ABC had a rough Saturday morning schedule that season and many of the series didn't continue into September 1984 save for Scooby and Scrappy-Doo.

It is believed that the peacock network had gained the #1 spot in terms of Saturday morning lineup during 1983-84, with a lot of great shows like "Mister T", "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and an improved "Smurfs" with the addition of Baby Smurf to the show. Rubik did get rebroadcast on ABC in the spring and summer of 1985 just as a placeholder, possibly replacing a show that got cancelled early in 1985. I would have watched it, had it not been for another interesting show on NBC.

I really would have had an interest in "Rubik the Amazing Cube" had it not been for those tiny blue creatures on that other network. I really hope there will be a DVD release of this series someday, but for now, several episodes are currently on YT, albeit in not overly great quality, but still watchable.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I vaguely remember this show. About a year earlier Rubik’s Cube came out, and everybody (and I mean everybody) had one. This little thing screams 80’s.
It was common for people to pull the cube apart and put it back together, and rub the insides with Vaseline to make it turn easier.

There was a similar puzzle shaped like a pyramid, and a more challenging sequel called Rubik’s Revenge.
Great stuff. It actually got the left side of my brain to do some work.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Rubik's Cube even spawned a sequel called Alexander's Star. But no matter how much they tried, nothing beat the cube.