Rowlf in TMM

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Is it ever specified why he comes along with Kermit and the gang, I mean we see him in the bar, then Kermit gets taken by Doc's men, then when we get to the part where they're all in the car, Rowlf's in there even though Kermit never even told him to come or not or even where they were going. While I'm not complaining about Rowlf is there a deleted scene or something that explains it, thanks.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Is it ever specified why he comes along with Kermit and the gang, I mean we see him in the bar, then Kermit gets taken by Doc's men, then when we get to the part where they're all in the car, Rowlf's in there even though Kermit never even told him to come or not or even where they were going. While I'm not complaining about Rowlf is there a deleted scene or something that explains it, thanks.
By that point in the film, I think the whole "can I join you on your trip to Hollywood because...?" was getting tiresome. When the gang picks up Piggy in the desert, Rowlf tries to explain why he's there, but she kind of ignores him, and he shuts up. Jim & co. probably figured, "eh, screw it. The audience knows Rowlf is going to go along anyway."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When the gang picks up Piggy in the desert, Rowlf tries to explain why he's there, but she kind of ignores him, and he shuts up.
I always found that to be a little awkward moment, myself.

"Excuse me, uh, my name's Rowlf the Dog, and I play the piano, and, well, never mind."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always found that to be a little awkward moment, myself.

"Excuse me, uh, my name's Rowlf the Dog, and I play the piano, and, well, never mind."
Well yeah, it is awkward. Rowlf's trying to distract from the tension between Piggy and Kermit and then kinda decides he's wasting his time, lol.

And I believe he says, "I was playing the piano at the..." like trying to explain how he met Kermit, etc., which does at least make sense as a reason to speak up.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I always presumed it's part of the film lost when the reel breaks. It certainly makes sense in my opinion

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I always presumed it's part of the film lost when the reel breaks. It certainly makes sense in my opinion
I never thought that part of the film was lost after it broke.

It was pointed out that at that point they stopped coming up with reasons for each character to want to go to Hollywood. When Kermit meets Bunsen and Beaker, they never discuss Hollywood, they just travel with the rest when they leave. Of course, they had been among the crowd, which Kermit may or may not have noticed, and when he says they're going to Hollywood, they are as excited as the rest. With Animal having just destroyed their lab, they were probably happy to get such an offer. Kermit might not have noticed them on the bus until they got there, or maybe Kermit thought he owed them for the damage. But who knows? Maybe Bunsen and Beaker had wanted a career in movies, maybe on the technical side of things, but settled for a back-up career in science, and when Kermit came, they got the opportunity they had wanted?

And in early scripts, after Kermit met Rowlf, the gang met Scooter and Animal, with Scooter just awkwardly asking if they were going to Hollywood, then pointing out that they needed some reason for him to join them.

But on the subject of Rowlf, it seems like he's not entirely happy, though he's content with his life.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But on the subject of Rowlf, it seems like he's not entirely happy, though he's content with his life.
You bet. He finishes work, goes home, reads a book, has a couple of beers, takes himself for a walk, then goes to bed.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I never minded that with Rowlf, but I always thought it was odd how they included Scooter. He was just thrown in with the Electric Mayhem, even though he's never before or since been identified as their road manager. He doesn't get any specific scenes or particularly memorable lines. For a character who was very prominent on The Muppet Show, his inclusion seemed kinda phoned in for me.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I never minded that with Rowlf, but I always thought it was odd how they included Scooter. He was just thrown in with the Electric Mayhem, even though he's never before or since been identified as their road manager. He doesn't get any specific scenes or particularly memorable lines. For a character who was very prominent on The Muppet Show, his inclusion seemed kinda phoned in for me.
That might have been the reason why he had such an akward inclusion. He was a prominent character, so they were obviously were going to include him, but what could he really do, his uncle owns the theater shtick wouldn't work, I don't see what they could have done with him. The road manager thing was strange since it was never heard of on TMS, but at least they found a way to have some lines for him instead of making him a background character, keep in mind he didn't really have much of a character then.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, they could have included him as the waitor on Kermit and Piggy's date. Then he would have joined them along with Rowlf. As much as I loved the Steve Martin cameo, they could have included him somewhere else.