RIP Regis Philbin

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I guess we can say that Regis gave his ultimate final answer. Sad loss in the game show world.

Aside from hosting "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", he also hosted "Million Dollar Password", and he previously appeared as a celebrity player on "Password Plus" early in 1982 during the series' final weeks on NBC..

He died just over one month shy of his 89th birthday. At least COVID-19 didn't kill him.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I guess we can say that Regis gave his ultimate final answer. Sad loss in the game show world.

Aside from hosting "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", he also hosted "Million Dollar Password", and he previously appeared as a celebrity player on "Password Plus" early in 1982 during the series' final weeks on NBC..

He died just over one month shy of his 89th birthday. At least COVID-19 didn't kill him.
He died of natural causes according to several sources.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
I grew up watching him. He was a true entertainer who loved his work.
He didn’t work with the Muppets much. Just a couple of appearances by them on his show (I loved when Jim Henson brought Kermit on the chat with him and Joy). However, it would have been so fun to see Regis do a bit with Oscar the Grouch. What a missed opportunity. I’m surprised Regis didnt appear even once on Sesame Street.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I grew up watching him. He was a true entertainer who loved his work.
He didn’t work with the Muppets much. Just a couple of appearances by them on his show (I loved when Jim Henson brought Kermit on the chat with him and Joy). However, it would have been so fun to see Regis do a bit with Oscar the Grouch. What a missed opportunity. I’m surprised Regis didnt appear even once on Sesame Street.
Regis Philbin made a cameo, with Kathie Lee Gifford, in Stars and Street Forever and was actually in favor of Ronald Grump turning Sesame Street into a Grump tower.
Philbin was also the host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, which had Kermit the Frog as a guest.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
RIP Regis. Toughpigs even made an article memorializing him, including a clip from an appearance by Piggy on Live, as well as the aforementioned Millionaire appearance.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
RIP Regis. Toughpigs even made an article memorializing him, including a clip from an appearance by Piggy on Live, as well as the aforementioned Millionaire appearance.
These days, Toughpigs tends to do articles on the death of pretty much every celebrity who has worked with the Muppets before.

It said in that article that Regis Philbin holds the world record for appearing in the most hours of television. I wonder how that could really be proven (and does it include total screentime - which might be harder to determine than the number of episodes of shows he's been on)?

This is a topic for a different thread, but learning that Philbin has been in the most hours of television makes me wonder which Sesame Street cast member has been in the highest amount of episodes in new material (whether it's a street scene or insert, as long as it's the first appearance of a scene in an episode). And that's likely hard to determine, especially since Muppet Wiki still hasn't completed every Sesame Street guide (and it wasn;t until a few years ago that we learned that the wiki will soon have all the episode info).