Richard Amsel & Muppet Movie Art

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Loving that Jamie - that would be an awesome T-Shirt!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thanks for that link! He did even more work than I had thought! Why Henson and Disney keep releasing unattractive cut and paste cover art when they likely have the rights to use Amsel's imagery is beyond me.

Hmmm... that raises the question... does he own the work, or does Henson? And would they have to pay a royalty fee for its use? Most likely not, but the crummy photoshop compilations are cheaper, and they have that ugly look that kids love so much.

I miss the era of drawn movie posters too. All too often do we just see photos from the movie, or still animated mock ups with ugly, flashy backdrops. It really sucks that the latest film to have that old school feel was some National Lampoon crap.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hmmm... that raises the question... does he own the work, or does Henson? And would they have to pay a royalty fee for its use? Most likely not, but the crummy photoshop compilations are cheaper, and they have that ugly look that kids love so much.

I miss the era of drawn movie posters too. All too often do we just see photos from the movie, or still animated mock ups with ugly, flashy backdrops. It really sucks that the latest film to have that old school feel was some National Lampoon crap.
Yeah, the last good Muppet movie box was the original Muppet Treasure Island DVD box. But even that was editted from the original poster (removed a bunch of pirate Muppets and Fozzie from it). I hope if they ever release 2-disc special editions of the movies, they have the Drew Struzan art on the covers.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Here's a little mock up I'm thinking of sticking on a tshirt for myself. It's slightly altered with Gonzo and the background has been removed. :smile:
I was thinking the same thing when you posted your original cleaned-up version, but I thought about maybe moving Gonzo closer, so he's touching the rest of the cast? Dunno.

Great job! When I'm in Frisco I'll hafta look for you wearing this shirt!

:smile:
Anthony

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when you posted your original cleaned-up version, but I thought about maybe moving Gonzo closer, so he's touching the rest of the cast? Dunno.

Great job! When I'm in Frisco I'll hafta look for you wearing this shirt!

Anthony
Thanks! I usually have a Muppet hanging somewhere off my back pack and walk kinda bouncy like a Muppet too. I'm fairly easy to pick out in a crowd of normal people. :eek:

I thought about moving that Gonzo around and decided to place him where he didn't require much alteration or sacrifice the integrity of the piece (and he's still by his beloved Camilla). That meant over the (still readable) logo. For the original composition i did like him floating alone and aloof, but I now prefer him closer to the gang. I'm interested in seeing where you'd put him. There are lots of options. :concern:

I'll look out for your shirt too. I remember seeing a guy across the street a couple years ago. He was wearing a Muppet Show shirt of all things! He was kinda of um...well, I was single at that time and should have run out like a crazy person and talked to him...or...um...probably not. :crazy: Things work out the way they're supposed to.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
LOL, Jamie the FrogBoy, you're the coolest.

I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be (or... at all! :embarrassed: ) in Photoshop, though I did spend a small fortune last year to buy a copy, so I can't even show you what I was thinking. I played around in Paint to put Gonzo on the right side of the rainbow, kinda so Sam is looking directly at him. Then I thought I might put him inbetween Piggy and Fozzie to kind of take up that space, but then you wouldn't really see the rainbow so what would be the point right?

I really do love what you did with the piece, I'm interested as to how you got the background a different color so smoothly, behind the logo - very nice color choice btw.

Art rocks! :big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LOL, Jamie the FrogBoy, you're the coolest.

I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be (or... at all! :embarrassed: ) in Photoshop, though I did spend a small fortune last year to buy a copy, so I can't even show you what I was thinking. I played around in Paint to put Gonzo on the right side of the rainbow, kinda so Sam is looking directly at him. Then I thought I might put him inbetween Piggy and Fozzie to kind of take up that space, but then you wouldn't really see the rainbow so what would be the point right?

I really do love what you did with the piece, I'm interested as to how you got the background a different color so smoothly, behind the logo - very nice color choice btw.

Art rocks! :big_grin:
Thanks. I got ya. By Sam would have been my second choice. I zeroed/cut out the background bit by bit to make it transparent. I have a quick knack with Photoshop. The main trick I've learned is that shortcuts and many of the extra tools take longer and require corrections down the line. Photoshop has made some improvements by way of text editing and a few other things in recent years, but in my opinion it peeked at version 4. Most of my stuff is just done straight. The polygonal selection tool is one of the most useful for detail-obsessed designers (like me). The magnetic selection lasso just irritates me. I'd enjoy seeing your composition when you're done.

SgtGonzoPepper

Reaction score
I always loved his work. He is amazingly good. I've always loved the Muppet-Related artists but this guy is that and MORE. Just awesome. I still say they should've used one of his 'The Muppet Movie' paintings for all the dvd covers.