Remembering Jim Henson, 29 years after May 16, 1990

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe it has been 29 years since Jim's passing on May 16, 1990. Like many of you, we'll never forget that day. Share your memories of May 16, 1990 and the impact Jim Henson continues to have on your life. Feel free to also post art, poems or favorite Henson video clips in honor of Jim.

Listen to the music of Jim Henson on Muppet Central Radio. Read our Jim Henson tributes for many stories from the days and weeks after Jim Henson's passing. Our "Remembering Jim Henson" menu designed by Jamie is also now on our home page.

Join us in celebrating his legacy that will live on for generations.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Defunct TV has been showing segments of his life. They just released the Muppet Show years 1976-80. Also covers the making of the Muppet Movie, and Emmet Otter.
The Muppet Show turned out to be a huge success, but in the beginning it seemed like it would never get off the ground.
What a busy period cramming the Muppet Movie, 24 episodes of the Muppet Show, AND still finding time for Sesame Street.

Jerry Juhl said it best; There was never enough time for Jim.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
today there was an art show at my school and as a tribute to Jim I displayed some puppets in the art show, not only that but the same display case my puppets were in had a clay sculpture of Cookie Monster so the display had a note on it that said "in tribute to Jim Henson"

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
today there was an art show at my school and as a tribute to Jim I displayed some puppets in the art show, not only that but the same display case my puppets were in had a clay sculpture of Cookie Monster so the display had a note on it that said "in tribute to Jim Henson"
Please post some pictures if you have them. We'd like to see your Jim Henson tribute.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
So I saw that Kermit the Frog was functioned like a puppet in a photo a few posts back, but on some Sesame Street segments (the Subtraction lecture comes to mind), and during the last few seconds of The Muppet Show opening theme, his legs and feet were revealed. Were there actually two versions of Kermit - the puppet version, and the full body version - and not just one?

I am tempted to think that the Sesame Street segments with Muppets standing behind a brick wall or a counter, likely resemble puppets, while there may have been full body versions if infrequently used.