Regarding Hotglue: A Word Of Advice

vaderdentist

Reaction score
One thing is true.......when I made Pepe.......I burned my self like 8 times.........I never did learn. I'm using rubber gloves next time I hot glue alot.
Dave :smile:
ps you can pull those suckers off quickly!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear

Actually, there's a low-temp hot glue gun which stings and rolls off easy; the high-temp MANLY hot glue guns (which I'm too big a sissy to use) BURNS SOOOO BAD! :cry:

One time with one of those boogers and it got thrown away!

I only use low-temp and Super 77 Spray Adhesive.
Same here. The low-temp glue guns seem to work very well. I haven't had any of my puppets fall apart yet. I'll have to try that spray adhesive though.

Actually, with a low-temp glue gun, it still burns, just not as much. It probably feels good, if you're into that sorta thing. :embarrassed:

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I have one word for you-ins:

SEW! :wink:

...and I have two more words if you're to lazy to do that (like I am usually):

CONTACT CEMENT!

Hot glue, form my experience, besides being a big hazard to work with, doesn't hold as well as these other methods. I don't trust it... I used to hot glue everything, and now looking at what I glued and at what I sewed, the sewing seams (get it?:embarrassed:Wocka wocka!) to give better aesthetic and more stable results.

I advocate sewing. Vote "Yes 34578"!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by vaderdentist
I'm using rubber gloves next time I hot glue alot.
Dave :smile:
ps you can pull those suckers off quickly!
never done that....but I think if you were using a high temp, it would melt the gloves to your fingers, and if you were using low temp......you should be able to handle it *insert manly grunt here*

Sarah

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
:eek:

Anything you can sew you should. Never use hot glue in place of thread! Unless you're in a real hurry....

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by sarah_yzma
*insert manly grunt here*
*GRUNT!*

Ah! The power of cheese...

Actually, I've never used hot glue in place of thread. Mostly it's used for eyes and cardboard on the mouth. That's pretty much it. Everything else is sewn.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
Anything you can sew you should. Never use hot glue in place of thread! Unless you're in a real hurry....
Oh, too true!

I made a wonderful rabbit and fox puppet years ago which, now, well...there isn't much of a now for them anymore.

:cry:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
there isn't much of a now for them anymore.

*gasps* you shouldn't say that.......there might be littler kids than me on here

Sarah

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Actually, I've never used hot glue in place of thread. Mostly it's used for eyes and cardboard on the mouth. That's pretty much it. Everything else is sewn.
Usually I like to attach eyes using nuts, bolts, and washers. If the eyes you're using are hollow, epoxy a bolt in there making sure the bolt extends past the edge of the eye a little. Make a hole in the puppet's head where you want the eye, then put a washer and a nut on that sucker and you've got perfectly adjustable eyes. Plus they don't look messy, and you can take them out and insert different ones for different emotions (like in MTI when Kermit's holding Pigy upside down).

Does anyone know how to sew plastic eyes on?

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarylarrywolf
Usually I like to attach eyes using nuts, bolts, and washers. If the eyes you're using are hollow, epoxy a bolt in there making sure the bolt extends past the edge of the eye a little. Make a hole in the puppet's head where you want the eye, then put a washer and a nut on that sucker and you've got perfectly adjustable eyes. Plus they don't look messy, and you can take them out and insert different ones for different emotions (like in MTI when Kermit's holding Pigy upside down).

Does anyone know how to sew plastic eyes on?

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
Check. Good idea.

Sewing plastic eyes on? I've done it a few times (ping pong balls and softer plastics like that). It's done just the same as sewing the fabric. Only alot harder. You need a pretty strong needle that can poke through the plastic, and, it has to be maneuvered so that it comes out just a little ways away, and so the needle doesn't come out the opposite side of the ping pong ball (if that's what you're using). Sewing works much better when you use only half of one though.

I wouldn't reccomend sewing them on, though. It hurts your fingers something terrible, and, the final result is just about the same as if you had glued it on.