recent disney abominations

beaker

Reaction score
now im sure to some degree we all have a love for disney.
how could ya not at some level. however, is it me or is the big Diz becoming alarmingly...whats the word, cheap?

case in point, the stomach churning cringe in your seat how could any loving parent take their kid to this 'country bears movie'. they should have people protesting how hideous and lame this looks.

or what about the rash of recent 'cheapquels'. once upon a time in the late 90's disney cared about production values and plot in their sequels. why i loved aladdin 3 king of thieves and lion king 2. but now? it started with little mermaid 2. horrid horrid. this was 2001? animation looked more like 1981. then i rented tarzan 2 the other night, as i loved the first tarzan. wow. to say this was made on a top ramen budget would be an understatement.
this looks like it was made as a joke by some community college students, and has zero of the fun, excitement, or even 1/1000 of the look of the tarzan 1999 cartoon.

next we have what can only be described as the bottom of the barrel. for some reason peter pan 2 came to theatres, tho it is a definate cheapquel. then we have cinderella 2 and hunchback 2? are parents really this gullible, or this mean to their kids? (then again I didnt find the first hunchback or most of the mid 90's disney contraptions all that innovative or fun)

What's up? disney has had some great sequels. fantasia 2000,
pinnochio 2 emperor of the night. but these? c'mon. but it gets worse. on the trailer for tarzan 2 was a preview 'for disney's latest animated feature for the whole family'. micket and the house of villians. now i like the saturday morning hsow, its the only new disney animation of classic characters in decades, and inventively brings all the modern and new characters into the same canon. but man...when i saw what this would be, basically new footage of mickey in the house of mouse, but mostly clips of all the villians from 60's and 70's films with their voices dubbed.
Are kids really this stupid? or Parents? Disney sure thinks so.

So about that Disney buyout of Muppets...these recent examples arent helping their case. However, I will say this...
disney released the best darn movie IMHO last year(monsters inc.) and are releasing japan's #1 movie ever, the beautifully illustrated anime film spirited away this fall(for folks who think anime is just pokemon)

grail

Reaction score
personally, i've never been for the Muppets being owned by the Mouse...and you've just nailed a big reason as to why...

i REFUSE to watch any of the Diz sequals that came out after Lion King 2, as they're all horrible, horrible, horrible ideas. Disney has no concept of a "good idea" anymore, and i honestly think they lucked out with Lilo and Stitch (i haven't had a chance to see it yet, but i hear it's excellent).

one of the best moves the Mouse ever made was doing business with Pixar. that's the ONLY reason i give Diz any credit...that one took some foresight. Pixar is not Disney, though...and for some reason, i think i heard a rumor that it was Lassater's idea for the Mouse to pick up the distribution rights to all those anime movies...which Disney almost killed when they butchered the release of Princess Mononoke. it's awesome! but it got no press, and quickly became one of the higher priced DVDs on the market. thankfully it's cheaper now...

in short, the Muppets should STAY AWAY from Disney...

Pixar, though...

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by BoyRaisin2
Pinocchio 2 Emperor of the Night?
yeah, i hadn't heard about it either, but i felt pretty dumb saying so...

someone care to enlighten us lowly know-nothings?

beaker

Reaction score
>>>personally, i've never been for the Muppets being owned by the Mouse...and you've just nailed a big reason as to why...<<<

well, its hard to imagine people can defend disney's actions in the last year when it comes to 'creativity'. it seems all post lion king 2 sequels must now be the bottom of the barrel quality, but more than that the alarming rate of how many are being released.
the split on this is disney with emperor's groove finally broke that song and dance save the princess two talking sidekicks and an evil emperor format that was killing them creatively in the 90's.
little mermaid, well that is what started it. i liked it, but 8 mermaid clones later it was good to see emperor's new groove. and i liked the animation of atlantis.

to me, disney's relaly only creative cred is pixar...but ive been a fan of pixar since i saw those cgi shorts in the late 80's.

oh dont even get me started with how they handled princess mononoke. because of a contract they finally did a limited release, but with zero press. i guess they rather promote thier b*stardized version of high end japanese anime. we'll see how they promote princess mononoke.

so for all those who wonder why we dont like modern disney chinanigans, these above are but the tip of the iceberg.

oh, emperor of the night(pinnochio 2) was this epic, yet very dark sequel miramax put out in 1987 in theatres.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0093743

of course, if i were to see it today i probably would be less than impressed.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Pinocchio 2 Emperor of the Night. Disney. Miramax. 1987. OK.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Well I *was* looking forward to seeing The Country Bears, that is until I saw a preview for it... ugh! It did seem to have promise a few months ago, though. I mean it includes puppets and is G-rated which is **** rare these days. It does look just awful though, and we won't be seeing it. Lilo and Stitch we did see, however.

grail

Reaction score
heh

the fact that you cursed about something being g-rated is funny to me...

and yeah, when i heard that Christopher Walken was in it i was intrigued...but now...eww...

beaker

Reaction score
hey, so lio and stitch is good? I havent gotten around to it yet, but the style of it seems unique enough. personally im a fan of these 2000+ breakway format animated films from disney(it all started january 1st 2000 with fantastia 2000 and continued with emperor's new groove, atlantis, lilo and stitch, and treasure planet soon)