Ready for the latest 80's childhood fave movie remake?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There were concepts done better in each version.
Agreed. I thought Springtime for Hitler was much more epic in the musical version (makes sense, lol). And in turn the original movie has that moment where you see Max and Leo's mournful looks as the audience is laughing and it's perfect. Something you couldn't do in the stage musical.

but I think that was one of Will Ferrels better performances. He tends to work well with a well done script and a strong character, rather than just rehashing Ricky Bobby in every movie.
I was really glad he didn't bring any of us usual baggage to the role. I honestly didn't remember much of his performance afterward, but it was fine. : )

Still, I know virtually NOTHING about the Young Frankenstein musical.
Well the actors were very good but I didn't think the story really lent itself to a musical format the way The Producers had.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Still, I know virtually NOTHING about the Young Frankenstein musical. But that movie I like a bit more than the Producers (I'm very close to YF), and I have to say, I've only heard like 2 songs from the soundtrack. That's not much for me to go on. All I know is Cloris Leachman was royally ticked she wasn't offered her part back for the musical... but then she was replaced by Andrea Martin... and I'm really a huge fan of her work, so it's hard to take sides.
From what I heard from a friend who saw it, it was basically the movie with songs (every quote he recited for me was exactly how it was in the movie).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
From what I heard from a friend who saw it, it was basically the movie with songs (every quote he recited for me was exactly how it was in the movie).
Yeah pretty much the same dialogue. I did think the weak point was the songs. They just took all the big lines from the film and built songs around them and not always successfully.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was really glad he didn't bring any of us usual baggage to the role. I honestly didn't remember much of his performance afterward, but it was fine. : )

I've said it a million times. Will Ferrel is good when he's on a good project and has a strong script. The Other Guys, for example. And the one where he's a book character who's life is being narrated. Even Megamind and Anchorman. But then he's just there acting like an idiot when the movie is idiotic... Kicking and Screaming (though it was his first family movie... ), Land of the Lost.... those are just awful. Didn''t exactly like Elf either...

I did like that little gag during the end credits of the movie where he sang one of the songs in a drippy, gooey Soft Rock dentist music version. In nothing else, as a fan of 1990's Disney movies, I cracked up on that one.

Yeah. It's hard to mess with perfection, though. It's probably fun as a stage musical, but there are so many little details with the original movie that I don't think can be replicated. The fact that Mel Brooks wanted to ape the look of the Universal Frankenstein movie to the point where he used the original props and kept it in black and white for the whole film just makes it stand out completely. And, like I said, I LOVE the Producers, but Young Frankenstein is one of my favorite movies ever. People should be going around quoting it like it was Monty Python.

I wonder what a Spaceballs musical would be like, though...