Rainbow Connection

Rowlf+Buster

Reaction score
Hi I was just playing around on CDzinc .com and thought I'd see if they had any muppet songs...well they don't but as I searched for the rainbow connection I found several coveres so I thought I'd compare it to the origional

1 Willie Nelson. Nice sweet solo but I have to say it's just not got it...what's it? well it is the banjo, the sweet hopefulness in Kermit's voice...and although I know he was just styling it to his preference but it was just bland i thought! More of a lullaby than a ballad (which is what it should be) 5/10

2.Me first and the and the gimme gimmes. WOW! now they did style it. OK so it's a completley different song (same lyrics and tune) but DRUMS. ELECTRIC GUITAR. FAST. The only reason I liked it was the fct that I saw it as a joke and that's what the muppets are all about (plus if you can just see Fozzie or gonzo doing that version) But it is not right jokes aside so a mere 4/10

3. Dixie Chicks. This is on the soundtrck to some film Mary had a little amp. thoughts before listening...WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO!!! After hereing the first 2 seconds I take it all back the origional BANJO RIFF! not as cutesey as Kermits voice but still I prefer the country take rather than the rock take. 8/10

4. Peter Cincotti. Ok much like the first, bland, not the right way of singing (if you know what I mean) I can just bareley make out scraps of the origional tune in there, I'm not liking this one bit, It does get better as it goes on but seriously it is a blues version and it just doesn't work. A low score for this but I will add another point for the obvious effort. 4.5/10

Rowlf+Buster

Reaction score
So why don't you have a listen and write some reviews and we can compare it will be interesting...trust me okay!?! :smile:
I have also just had an Idea popped into my head we should all record our own...FOR FUN!!! what better way to spend a saturday afternoon eh! eh! are you convinced yet... :crazy:

BEAR

Reaction score
Rowlf+Buster said:
So why don't you have a listen and write some reviews and we can compare it will be interesting...trust me okay!?! :smile:
I have also just had an Idea popped into my head we should all record our own...FOR FUN!!! what better way to spend a saturday afternoon eh! eh! are you convinced yet... :crazy:

No, because if we all recorded our own versions here i know what would happen. The majority of us would be trying so hard to do their best kermit impressions and that would just be pathetic.

jaap

Reaction score
If you happen to have a program like emule/limewire/kazaa then you can search for all these RC covers.

The ones I like:
Rockapella
- A capella version, with a pretty good kermit imitation.
Lea salonga
- Girl with kids choir. its innocent like the original
Jason Mraz
- live recording, just one guy and his acoustic guitar.
Me first and the and the gimme gimmes
- Spiced up rock version, but treat the original with respect

The ones I don't like:

pennywise with reel big fish
- hard rockers noise
Brothers cazimero
- Hawaiian lyrics: very weird and not my style
Vera Lynn
- totally wrong adaptation: romantic noise

Jaap

jaap

Reaction score
By the way, I'd love to hear Johnny Fiama singing RC.
That would be totally awesome, so Bill: please???

Vic Romano

Reaction score
jaap; I just recently got a hold of that Jason Mraz one, that is good, of course I really like him too.

Also; I'd have to say that Sarah McLaughlin's version is second only to Kermit's himself; it is the most lovely and lilting version I've ever heard. Someone here also posted a link to a performer named "James Towne" who did a rock version that I thought was really well done.

This song is not often well covered though, I hate Willie's version, it's like he's trying too hard to make it his own.