R.I.P. Wilford Brimley

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yep, the world-famous spokesperson for Liberty Medical, the "Diabeetus" guy has passed away at the ripe age of 85. No word yet on the cause of death, so it's unknown whether it's related to diabetes or not, but I have to admit, he was always one of my favorite memes . . . as a matter of fact, these are some of my favorite classic YouTube videos:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Yep, the world-famous spokesperson for Liberty Medical, the "Diabeetus" guy has passed away at the ripe age of 85. No word yet on the cause of death, so it's unknown whether it's related to diabetes or not, but I have to admit, he was always one of my favorite memes . . . as a matter of fact, these are some of my favorite classic YouTube videos:
He was on dialysis and had kidney disease for two months.

He also had several medical issues as well.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
1985 Ewoks and the Battle of Endor.
Brimley was the best thing in it. Good special fx butLOUSY acting. But a good slice of 80s Cheese-O-Rama.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It wasn't related to diabetes. I REALLY think it was mean of people to make fun of him saying it,
He had Type 2 Diabetes. That happens a lot with people who are older and overweight.
I have Type 1, which gets you when you’re younger. Either way, it’s no picnic living with it.
Unlike cancer, diabetes doesn’t go into remission. I’ve had it for thirty years, and not a day goes by I don’t have to deal with it. It almost killed me.
I have good days and bad days, and the good days far outnumber the bad days. ButI don’t think anyone would want a bad day. It ain’t fun.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unlike cancer, diabetes doesn’t go into remission.
I've heard it's "reversible," but you have to work really, really, really work hard to reverse it (i.e. really exercize, really go on a serious diet, and really lose a lot of weight) . . . I suppose that's just a false hope doctors tell patients, because they also taught us in middle school that HIV was curable, but not AIDS, and since I've been out of school, they say neither is curable.

Katzi428

Reaction score
How do you know that?
I read his obituary"Brimley’s manager Lynda Bensky said the actor died Saturday morning in a Utah hospital. He was on dialysis and had several medical ailments," she said.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've heard it's "reversible," but you have to work really, really, really work hard to reverse it (i.e. really exercize, really go on a serious diet, and really lose a lot of weight) . . . I suppose that's just a false hope doctors tell patients, because they also taught us in middle school that HIV was curable, but not AIDS, and since I've been out of school, they say neither is curable.
Yes, Type 2 can be reversed, or slowed down, but it is a challenging task.Unfortunately Type 1 can’t be reversed , short of a cure or a pancreas transplant. There have been some successful transplants, but not enough cases to make it standard practice. They’re looking into stem cell research, and something might come of it. In her lifetime, Mary Tyler Moore has done much to further the crusade. Maybe I’ll see it in my lifetime.
Diabetes is heavily researched since 30 million Americans have it. Blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans are more prone to it. It’s not an easy day at the office. But there’s hope.