R.I.P. Elie Wiesel

mr3urious

Reaction score
Nobel prize-winning political activist, professor, and peace advocate Elie Wiesel had passed away at 87 yesterday at his Manhattan home. He is best known for being one of the few lucky survivors of the Holocaust, and since surviving that horror at Auschwitz, he has spoken out against hatred and prejudice around the world, from the Bosnian massacre to the war in Darfur to Iran's nuclear weapons deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/w...nobel-peace-prize-winner-dies-at-87.html?_r=0

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We read his memoirs, NIGHT, in my Grade 8 reading class, as my reading teacher was obsessed with the Holocaust, so we read a lot from Mr. Wiesel's memoir, to THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK (of which we also watched a film adaptation of) . . . it was really difficult having to read about those concentration camps, and the horrors the Jewish people had to endure at the hands of the Nazis. It finally got a point that parents began writing in, complaining about the excessive dark subject matter a bunch of thirteen-year-olds were having to read and study . . . so we made the sudden shift from Holocaust to Shakespearean comedy after that (that way, nobody died).

Either way, it's a shame that this true survivor is now no longer with us.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
We read his memoirs, NIGHT, in my Grade 8 reading class, as my reading teacher was obsessed with the Holocaust, so we read a lot from Mr. Wiesel's memoir, to THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK (of which we also watched a film adaptation of) . . . it was really difficult having to read about those concentration camps, and the horrors the Jewish people had to endure at the hands of the Nazis. It finally got a point that parents began writing in, complaining about the excessive dark subject matter a bunch of thirteen-year-olds were having to read and study . . . so we made the sudden shift from Holocaust to Shakespearean comedy after that (that way, nobody died).

Either way, it's a shame that this true survivor is now no longer with us.
No joke, my eight grade english teacher was also obsessed with the holocaust, saw Anne Franks, we also switched to shakespeare afterwards, and parents complained...weird.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
RIP Ellie Wiesel, I read his book "Night" it was incredible, sad to see him go, but I am glad he told us his story and opened our eyes to the disaster of the holocaust, such a great guy, very sad news.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No joke, my eight grade english teacher was also obsessed with the holocaust, saw Anne Franks, we also switched to shakespeare afterwards, and parents complained...weird.
Now I'm inclined to ask, was your middle school a magnet school that was right smack dab in the middle of the ghetto?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Now I'm inclined to ask, was your middle school a magnet school that was right smack dab in the middle of the ghetto?
Yes...it was a magnet school, I'm not sure ghetto, it was a school with grades from 7-12.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah. Probably not the same school then; mine was a traditional 6-8 middle school, but it was in the ghetto, so we had all kinds of fun stuff like gun threats, bomb threats, lock downs, fights, what have you, lol.

Still, that's a strange and bizarre coincidence, lol.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Ah. Probably not the same school then; mine was a traditional 6-8 middle school, but it was in the ghetto, so we had all kinds of fun stuff like gun threats, bomb threats, lock downs, fights, what have you, lol.

Still, that's a strange and bizarre coincidence, lol.
Oh okay never mind, LOL very strange.