R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh I know! Why, the other commentators seemed to think I was an uncultured and repressed jerk@s$. They could be right. I could have been so desensitized by the wacky and outlandish humor of comedy of yesteryears to realize just how cultured, sophisticated, and refined gratuitous sex really is! :eek:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
So many great scenes of his from MASH to pick from. This one has to be at the top of the list

I'd also have to include the episode where he takes an interest in the patient who stutters and returns to the swamp to listen to the tapes from his sister. And the episode where Radar gives him his old stocking cap from his childhood. Winchester was much more of a real person than the cartoonish Frank Burns
https://youtu.be/ijEiwBLCXeo

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I will say is the transition between Frank and Charles was handled much, much better than Trapper and B.J.

Though, to be fair, Wayne Rogers didn't officially leave the show until their mid-season hiatus, so I can see how they had to haphazardly write Trapper out of the show by having Hawkeye miss his plane by ten minutes when he and Radar go to pick up B.J.

With Frank and Charles, on the other hand, bringing Charles in while there's a search for Frank, and eventually we see Potter and later Hawkeye and B.J. speak to Frank over the phone made it feel like it was at least still part of the story, if only in spirit (so to speak).

On a somewhat related note, there's a really funny blooper from Charles's first episode at the 2:16 mark of this reel:

Princeton

Reaction score
Winchester was much more of a real person than the cartoonish Frank Burns
But realism doesn't necessarily always equal entertaining, especially in a comedy series. To switch gears to another show, the most realistic character in the US Office series is Stanley Hudson. But the writers never knew what to do with him and as such over a nine year series Stanley literally had three episodes focusing on him. And what's wrong with being cartoonish? When you have a character that is as unyielding and anti-social as Frank, it's funny. People with social disorders can sometimes make for very funny characters as long as they're not written in an insulting way and the audience is still able to feel empathy for them.

And since you brought up the episode where we discover that Honoria stutters, am I the only one that thought that really came out of left field and not in a good way? That character had at least seven seasons of build up, we find out that she was in one at one point engaged and has a child and now less than 7 episodes before the series finale we find out she stutters?

Also taking your lead, I found some more tributes:
Alan Alda: https://mobile.twitter.com/alanalda/status/970386672394391553
Loretta Swit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnfezgnggyug7dr/Loretta remembers David.pdf?dl=0

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And since you brought up the episode where we discover that Honoria stutters, am I the only one that thought that really came out of left field and not in a good way?
On a similar not, one episode that really irks me is B.J. falling in love with the lady war co-respondant. Mike Farrell wrote and directed that episode, and it's just a trainwreck that screams forced and contrived. I know Mike wanted to show that even faithful B.J. wasn't above temptation, and was also human, but he just really tried too hard to bash that message in with a mallet in this one: they're both mutually attracted to each other, even though she knows he's married and yet continues to persue him making him feel all funny and awkward because he think she's so exciting since she's such a free bird.

Princeton

Reaction score
Not to
On a similar not, one episode that really irks me is B.J. falling in love with the lady war co-respondant. Mike Farrell wrote and directed that episode, and it's just a trainwreck that screams forced and contrived. I know Mike wanted to show that even faithful B.J. wasn't above temptation, and was also human, but he just really tried too hard to bash that message in with a mallet in this one: they're both mutually attracted to each other, even though she knows he's married and yet continues to persue him making him feel all funny and awkward because he think she's so exciting since she's such a free bird.
Not to mention that whole plot was done a lot better in the earlier episode "Hanky Panky".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Exactly. There really was no need to rehash it all over again.

Princeton

Reaction score
Since first responding to this thread I've realized that Stiers had several TV guest spots that I quite enjoyed: Matlock, Frasier and Next Gen.