Questions for Fraggle's Terry Angus

MuppetDude

Reaction score
ButchCat said:
MuppetDude, I apologize. I am very wrong and this is a bad case of having egg in my face. I was going by memory and I didn’t remember seeing Murry with a tail and non of my photos with Murry shows him with a tail that I could see but then again none of my photos views Murry from the back just the front. However I looked around for the my copy of that photo that you have a link to and sure enough that is a tail. So I went to my photo album and rechecked the photos and there is one picture of Dave Goelz performing Murry while Steve did Wembley for that scene. I took a closer look at that picture and there is indeed a tail there. It’s barely visible but there. I will never trust my own memory again! Thanks for setting me strait MuppetDude.
Now I'll be thinking of myself as "the guy that set Terry Angus straight". Now I've got guilt. :zany:

I'd hate to sound rude, but in case you missed my question: Who played Balsam the Minstrel (the armadillo-looking one)? None of the Muppet sites have a performer listed for him. All I know is that whoever played him had long black hair (in the "Down at FR" special behind the scenes of "The Rock Goes On").

pepestarr

Reaction score
Hi Terry. You're a great puppeteer and I admire all of you Puppeteers for doing such a great job on these productions

You were involved with 'Fantastic Miss Piggy Show' and 'A Muppet Family Christmas' according to Muppet Wiki. I was wondering which Muppets you performed on these two occasions?

Many Thanks :smile:

wes

Reaction score
Mr. Angus, Have you heard anything on The New Fraggle Movie, from any one now working on the movie?!!

MuppetDude

Reaction score
pepestarr said:
Hi Terry. You're a great puppeteer and I admire all of you Puppeteers for doing such a great job on these productions

You were involved with 'Fantastic Miss Piggy Show' and 'A Muppet Family Christmas' according to Muppet Wiki. I was wondering which Muppets you performed on these two occasions?

Many Thanks :smile:
I believe he mentioned who he performed in MFC in a previous question.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
I just finished watching "Beginnings" of Fraggle Rock and I have two questions: What all did you do in the first episode? and Could you explain to us how the Trash Heap operates, like is it two or three puppeteers, where they are positioned etc.? Thanks again, for sparing some of your valuable time to share with us your vast knowledge. I have looked forward to reading your post.:smile:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
You mentioned Kermit doing a Promo in the Gorgs garden, And you previously mentioned a child coming onto the set for a tour set up by a TV Show.

ButchCat said:
The first time that we all seen him perform Kermit for the first time was a magical moment too. Jim was doing a promo with Kermit in the Gorgs Garden and I think I remember most of us going in the studio and like a bunch of children sitting on the floor watching Jim Henson performing Kermit. That will always remain in my memory for a long time.

My question is Do you remember any other promos or things happening like this?

The reason I ask is so we can find out about these things about contact HIT Entertainment abuot getting them put onto the Fraggles DVD Sets!

I know Travelling Matt did a spot for UK channel ITV for the kids hour called 'CITV'. And we know of Matt and Cotterpin on The Today Show in the 90's talking about the "new" VHS releases.

Thanks!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hi Terry. I don't have a question (yet!) but I'd just like to say thanks for taking time to talk to us! it's amazing trivia like Beaker being inhalled that really makes a difference!

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Two quick yes or no qs:

bp Nichol wrote most of your Storyteller episodes; I take it this is not a coincidence?

Whenever I notice Morris in a crowd scene, he's nearly always on the left side of the screen and next to Red Fraggle; I take it this is also not a coincidence?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

ButchCat

Reaction score
Hi one and all,

Well it’s taken a lonnng time to get back to you guys this time and there are lots of questions to be answered so sit down for a long read as we start off with a question I didn’t get around to last time from MGov
MGov
When you were putting the Blizzard Island project together, what were some of the obstacles you faced and what, in hindsight, would you do differently?
Hi MGov, There are lots of things that I would do differently. Blizzard Island was a show that was very close to my heart and I had some good times but it had caused a lot of pain too. When I signed the contracts I lost a lot more than I should have and lawyers have a way of wording contracts that seem to say one thing or you take it one way and it really means something else. The producer’s lawyer was better than my lawyer plus producers have a way of making everything sound urgent. So the two biggest things that I can tell you to do is to get a good lawyer and don’t be in a rush to sign. Yes you have to give up some rights but don’t give them all up. I was young and foolish.

Also when it comes to dealing with a third party such as the CBC you have to know that it’s a game of give and take. You have to let them suggest a few changes. Weight the changes and decide what you can let them have for example. With Blizzard Island originally my Witch character was living in a castle but the CBC wanted her to live in a lighthouse to give it a Nova Scotia feel. They also wanted Molcaster the Cat to be a seagull. So you go in like this. “We will have the Witch live in a Lighthouse if you let us keep Molcaster as a cat. There was lots of stuff like that when Andrew Cochran Productions first brought CBC into the mix.

This is why “Four Fish Fly Free” Didn’t make it. Now “Four Fish Fly Free” was not my creation so I had nothing to do with its content. As you may or may not know we had done a four direct to video shows and there where hopes that it would get a series but when the producer/creator got together with PBS they did not get along at all and the sad fact was that PBS had some very good ideas that the Creator/Producer hated but reluctantly went along with because he had a partner who was all for the changes and this was for the TV pilot. Sadly it all went down the tubes because of all the fights. There was no way that PBS was going to deal with that. Folks it was a big fat mess. For more on Four Fish Fly Free go to my web site. Four Fish
Thanks for your question MGov.
MeepBorkMeep
Thanks Terry for taking the time to answer our questions. I'll have to try that Beaker thing. Hang on.....Wow! That really does help! I've tried it before while exhaling, and it came out sounding all hollow, now I know why. Thank you so much.
A big thank you for your letter MeepBorkMeep and I’m glad that you found my info on Beaker’s voice helpful. Take care.
I'd hate to sound rude, but in case you missed my question: Who played Balsam the Minstrel (the armadillo-looking one)? None of the Muppet sites have a performer listed for him. All I know is that whoever played him had long black hair (in the "Down at FR" special behind the scenes of "The Rock Goes On").
Hey MuppetDude, no need to feel guilty about setting me strait on Murry Minstrel. I guess I just never took note of it years ago and you are not being rude.

Balsam Minstrel was performed by different puppeteers. One episode Lee Armstrong was working the puppet. In “Mokey and The Minstrels” he was voiced by Jerry Nelson and I can’t remember if he was working the puppet or not. I think I remember Karen working him in one episode although I am not sure. For the last Minstrel episode I can’t remember who worked Balsam. If you look at the Making of video you see that the person is tall and has dark hair at least that’s what I see.

Maybe the mystery can be solved through a process of elimination. Here’s who I knew was working who. Gordon Roberson was taking over on Murry from Steve in both puppet and voice. Tim Gosley was performing Brool as he did from day one. Rob Mills was working the Inkspot and I was performing Brio. In the male Canadians this leaves Mike Petersen, Frank Meschkuleit, Bob Stutt and John Pattison. There is also a question of is Balsam being worked by one of the female Canadians eh? So I am very sorry MuppetDude that I wasn’t more helpful I really feel like I failed on this one. Now you can be the first guy to cause me some sleepless nights. Just kidding.
Pepestarr
You were involved with 'Fantastic Miss Piggy Show' and 'A Muppet Family Christmas' according to Muppet Wiki. I was wondering which Muppets you performed on these two occasions Many Thanks
Hi Pepestarr and thank you for your wonderful letter. MuppetDude is correct I did indeed answer the question of who I worked on The Muppet Family Christmas and you can find that answer Here.

Now here’s what I did for the “Fantastic Miss Piggy Show” I performed Zoot and Sam Eagle. There wasn’t as many Muppets in that one as there was in “Family Christmas. I enjoyed performing them both. I think I told this story before but it was close to the end of shooting and somehow I broke Sam’s head right off the body and they had to fix it. They ended up gluing the head completely down which made it so that the head could not turn around. Right after that we had to shoot the ending scene where they had to set off explosions in different parts of the set. This was used for the credit roll. Because Sam’s head could no longer move I had to turn and move the whole body of the Sam puppet. Suddenly the wing slipped over my head and you can see the back of my head right in the shot. Because the explosions could only be used once they had to keep it. So I ask forgiveness and thanks again Pepestar.
Wes,
Mr. Angus, Have you heard anything on The New Fraggle Movie, from any one now working on the movie?!!
Hi Wes, It’s good to see you again. Sadly I have not heard a thing about the new Fraggle Movie and I have a bad feeling that I will not be a part of it. Just a feeling I have. The last time I talked to Karen Prell which was a couple of months ago she had not been officially contacted about it either so I don’t know what’s going on but if I hear anything about it I will pass it along. Take care Wes and thanks
Froggiegirl18
I just finished watching "Beginnings" of Fraggle Rock and I have two questions: What all did you do in the first episode? and Could you explain to us how the Trash Heap operates, like is it two or three puppeteers, where they are positioned etc.? Thanks again, for sparing some of your valuable time to share with us your vast knowledge. I have looked forward to reading your post.
Hi Froggiegirl, I hope that you enjoyed “Beginnings” although it was specially made to start the series it was not the first show that we taped. That show was “The Thirty Minute Work Week” Now back to “Beginnings” I can’t remember doing to much in that episode Lets see, I remember operating a Yellow Fraggle with a purple goatee beard that was giving a piggyback ride for another Fraggle and this was during the first “Hip, Hip Hooray” song. I think I was assisting Dave Goelz with Matt’s right hand during the “Follow Me” song and in the reprise of the “Hip, Hip Hooray” song at the end I was a Green Fraggle that was hanging off of a slag mite on the left over Boober. This Fraggle would become John Pattison’s Henchy character the Worlds Oldest Fraggle’s flunky.

I remember watching the scene when Matt first goes to outer space. That was shot at a house that was next door to the back of our studio.

Now for the opening theme I have a very hard time remembering where I was except in two scenes. I was a Purple Fraggle with pink fur for the body and light green hair I used this guy in the two scenes that I remember. One is just as Gobo is leaving the great Hall to go up to the Gorg’s garden in that very quick scene I am operating a Purple Fraggle with a Pink fur body and green hair it’s right on the bottom. The other scene is when Gobo is dropped by Jr. Gorg down to the Great Hall into the Fraggle Pond and I am operating the same purple/pink Fraggle only this time the Fraggle is sitting on a rock holding a flower.

OK, Froggiegirl on to your second question. The Trash Heap was operated by three people and that is because of her size. Jerry Nelson did the head and voice and two other performers on either side of Jerry did the arms. Most of the time I believe that the arms where done by Trish Leeper and Cheryl Wagner. Myra Fried also use to control one of the arms too until she left. The biggest trick in working the Trash Heap’s arms is when she claps during a song. Get a friend and using only one hand each try to clap with that friend and you’ll see what I mean. Thanks Froggiegirl I am glad you like my posts.
Hi Terry,
You mentioned Kermit doing a Promo in the Gorgs garden, And you previously mentioned a child coming onto the set for a tour set up by a TV Show.
My question is Do you remember any other promos or things happening like this?

The reason I ask is so we can find out about these things about contact HIT Entertainment abuot getting them put onto the Fraggles DVD Sets!

I know Travelling Matt did a spot for UK channel ITV for the kids hour called 'CITV'. And we know of Matt and Cotterpin on The Today Show in the 90's talking about the "new" VHS releases.

Thanks!
Warrick
Hey, Warrick. It’s good to see you again. This is a hard one to answer but I’ll try my best. Other than a couple of contests I can’t remember too much in the way of extra footage of things. What I do remember are a few news reports. There was one done of me by the CBC but the tape I use to have it on was lost years in a theft. I lost a lot of videos plus my VCR, a necklace that I gave Cheryl and the very, very first Home video that Stoney Ripley and I did of Blizzard Island. We made another one after that. This was before I was married to Cheryl and I was visiting at her apartment. Anyway back to the answer here. I remember there where a few items done for Entertainment Tonight plus a couple of videos that where made for the cast and crew and they where never meant for the public to see although our final wrap party video somehow got out there and around. The biggest sad news is that none of our Bloopers where ever saved at least as far as I know. That is all I can remember right now of extra stuff for the second Fraggle DVD set. Sorry this is not very helpful Warrick.
Beauregard
Hi Terry. I don't have a question (yet!) but I'd just like to say thanks for taking time to talk to us! it's amazing trivia like Beaker being inhalled that really makes a difference!
Thank you very much Beauregard. I’m very glad that you are enjoying the trivia that is coming out of these questions and answers. Thanks for taking the time to type your comment.
Two quick yes or no qs:

bp Nichol wrote most of your Storyteller episodes; I take it this is not a coincidence?

Whenever I notice Morris in a crowd scene, he's nearly always on the left side of the screen and next to Red Fraggle; I take it this is also not a coincidence?

Hey, there David, I don’t think it’s a coincidence as I think BP Nichol really liked the Storyteller character and we both got a long very well. It was because of the Storyteller episodes and the fact that we got on very well that I talked Cochran into having BP as our head writer for Blizzard Island.

Morris almost always on the left? Wow David that is really observant of you. The main reason that Morris tended to be on the left side of the screen was because I’m a left handed puppeteer. It’s easer to keep out of the shot for a left handed puppeteer if he or she is on the left side of the screen. Now seeing as I was good friends with Karen Prell it would only be natural that you would tend to hang out more with a friend and Karen is a very easy person to get along with.

Well I guess that’s all for now I've got to get started on my taxes so thank you very much everyone and take care of yourselves.

Terry Angus

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
ButchCat said:
our final wrap party video somehow got out there and around.
That would be "The Fraggles Look for Jobs", correct?

Thanks for getting back to us. My that was a long post:eek: