Questions about anything

Hubert

Reaction score
Why exactly is it that we say "up north," "down south," and "out west," yet very few people say "in east." It seems like it should be that way since up and down are opposites, it would only make sense for the other two to be also. I do know of a few people who do say "in east," but not many seem to.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because most people are already IN east, so they have no need to say it, because they're already there. Just like since I'm already down south, I don't usually have to say it very often because I'm already there.

Hubert

Reaction score
That's fine...but what about people who are in the west?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
What I've always wondered is what states are technically "out west" Like...the division between the north and south is often considered Maryland, but whats the division out west? Everything west of the Mississippi river?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's a whole other problem right there.

EDIT: Sarge ziffeled me, and I'm pretty sure she did it intentionall... :shifty:

Hubert

Reaction score
What I've always wondered is what states are technically "out west" Like...the division between the north and south is often considered Maryland, but whats the division out west? Everything west of the Mississippi river?
Are you kidding me?????? The division between north and south is often considered Maryland???!!! Maryland is just so north. To me it's not till like North Carolina that south starts.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Some people I've talked to consider North Carolina to be the north, just because it has the word "North" in it

Hubert

Reaction score
Some people I've talked to consider North Carolina to be the north, just because it has the word "North" in it
That's sort of odd. That means that South Dakota is south?

EDIT: Sarge ziffeled me, and I'm pretty sure she did it intentionall... :shifty:
Intentional ziffeling! What a horrendous crime. You're under arrest ma'am. We may even have to consider the death penalty. Oh wait...you're already half dead...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Nah, North Carolina's a southern state.

I THINK the division as far as north and south goes in Kentucky: again, living in the southeast, whenever we're shown "regional maps", it usually contains Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Florida... everything north of those is considered the north. Then, you have states like Montant, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Iowa, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and such that are considered "The Mid-West"... why they're called "mid-west", I don't know, unless it's because it's because they're in the middle of the country, and their geography is more similar to the west than the east.