Question about Lynne Thigpen (Chief on Carmen Sandiego series)

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I remember seeing the Chief on Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? back in the early 1990s, and its spinoff, Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? until 1998. It was a great show, and she really sounded more serious when it comes to ACME's quest on finding Carmen.

However, when I saw Lynne Thigpen on an image on Muppet Wiki, which is from a Sesame Street episode where Slimey launches into space (likely taped not long after Where in Time ceased prduction, or during the midst of the final season) I noticed she didn't have much hair. I remember learning in 2003 that she died of cancer in March of that year (not long after her appearance as a judge in the 2002 Adam Sandler film Anger Management).

Is it possible that Lynne Thigpen wore a wig when she portrayed the Chief on both Carmen Sandiego series, and if so, could it be possible that she was diagnosed with cancer before production of the first Carmen series started in 1991, or even in the 1980s? I am starting to believe she wore a wig when she played the Chief, after recalling seeing a Chief's office sketch where her head fell off and rolled under the desk (technically, her head was made invisible with the magic of green/blue screen technology, making young viewers believe she did lose her head), and the so-called prop that Greg lifted (depicting her head) had what appeared to be a wig similar to the Chief's hairstyle.

Last edited:

anytimepally

Reaction score
She did not have cancer. She died of a cerebral hemorrhage.