Question about Down Down Baby Rhyme/Clapping Game

SteveRoud

Reaction score
Dear Muppet People
I am writing a book on Children's Games in England and need to find out about the hand clapping rhyme 'Down Down Baby' which I am told originated from a Sesame Street episode - but I can't find out which one and when it was first broadcast. I would be grateful if anyone could help me. The first words of the rhyme are 'Down down baby / Down by the roller coaster / Sweet sweet baby / I'll never let you go...
Thanks
Steve Roud (sroud@btinternet.com)

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I am writing a book on Children's Games in England and need to find out about the hand clapping rhyme 'Down Down Baby' which I am told originated from a Sesame Street episode
Hmm...Not sure if it originated on the show, but I'm almost certain Elmo sang it (or something like that) once. Can't find anything under that title on Muppet Wiki, though...

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Elmo didn't sing it, I'm certain of it, it was one of my favorite clips. It was a group of girls in the middle of the park. They all hit their hands togehter in a circle one hand down, the other up. I don't even remember Elmo being in it. I thought the bit was about a girl watching the others and then them inviting her to come join in. But he might have been in it and I could be forgetting. I can't find anything about it on the web though except for hand filmed youtube videos and brief mentionings in blogs. It doesn't appear to have soley originated from the show though.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It didn't originate with Elmo, but he did sing it once in Elmo's World... sort of. He did sing the words "Down, Down Baby".

It's seen in a clip on the Sesame Street A&E Biography.

dwmckim

Reaction score
More specifically, the clip of the girls (and Elmo's commentary on it) is from the Singing episode of Elmo's World.

SteveRoud

Reaction score
I'm told that Elmo did a parody of it (Something about karate) on a later show, but the rhyme was definitely on SS earlier
Steve Roud

SteveRoud

Reaction score
I'm new here - how do I find "Hands episode of Elmo's World." - does it have an episode number?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The clip is at sesamestreet.org. I forget what title it's listed as, but it was among the clips from the 1980s that was nominated in the sites 40th anniversary "greatest clip of all-time" voting section. I wanted to find it and put the link here, but the website seems to be having some kind of problem right now when searching for clips.