Puppet Theaters

Bovegard

Reaction score
Does any one have any ideas about how to make a cheap Puppet theater. It has to be big anough for 3 people and room for the puppet script.

Can any one help me???? :confused:

Thanks,
Bovegard

matleo

Reaction score
bove

How inexpensive are you looking? And also what kind of puppets stage. I can send you the designs I use. it's kind of limited and kind of not. Bascially it's two folding flats, with a playboard across the top. I have a back-playboard I use for scenery and then I have a rail that comes up and across the back which I hang a backdrop curtain on. It sets up pretty easy and I don't think it cost me more than $50 or so. I don't remember it was so long ago. I actually stole the design fomr the great Arizona Puppet Tehate when I worked for them and tweaked the design a little so I could do more with it. It measures about 6 feet across. 3 ft deep and 7 ft high (actually the play area is at 4 ft high and then the curtain rail stands at about 7) Hope this is of some help. It's a poor description.

--Matt

Scrid

Reaction score
The flat-based stages are nice, but I like PVC frames with curtains for compact packing. I think there are were a few threads on the subject on the Delphi forum. You might check those, too.
TV

Bovegard

Reaction score
Hi Matleo,

It would be great if you could sent me the designs. Is it big anough to stand up in?? And is it easy and quickish to take up and down? Also can it be transported in a car? What kind of puppets do you use?

Bye,
Bovegard

matleo

Reaction score
can yo ustand up in it? yes and no. When I was in Phoenix, they set the curtain rail about halfway back (1.5 ft deep) and yo utood behind nd owrked the puppets under the curtain. When I tweeked it, I added in the back playboard and put the curtain rail ALL the way back, so I actually work sitting. Yes, I can break it down and fit it in my car but I drive a Wagon (Ford Focus). although I used to drive a Sedan (Ford Taurus) and I could fit in that too. it was just a little harder. It take me about a half setup (inlcuding puppets, sound, etc) and similar breakdown time. I work with hand puppets and rod puppets which you can see at www.lionheartpuppets.com If you go t touring shows it will give you an idea of the kinds of work I do.

--Matt

Bovegard

Reaction score
Hi Matleo,

Could you send me the desighns. Can you e-mai them? If so I'll give you my e-mail address.

Thanks,
Bovegard:smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the theater you can send me???

Beauregard

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I know a puppeteer up here in Canada that has a fabulous looking puppet stage he made from an old fridge box. He just cut it to the size he needed and covered it with some very nice looking fabric. It's lightweight and folds up nicely for travel. Looks great too!

Sometimes the simplest approaches are the best.:cool:

Beauregard

Reaction score
That would be great if I could get a fridge box!!!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I use a washing machine box for the front (spray painted it maroon with gold trim, I have 2 fake plant-vines hanging down the side), and a fridge box for the back (it stands up and has a curtain across it for the puppets to exit from).

The background is the generic background you see in several of the Muppet's photos or books or something...I think I actually took it from the background of the 3-D Colorforms PLayset.

Boxes of this calibur (?) can be found at furniture and appliance stores.

Good luck,
FOZ