Puppet Stages

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
It has been done before. In the UK the Hogarth Puppets (famed for Muffin the Mule) had a touring trailer/caravan theatre. I have seen a horsebox with a back that drops down revealing a Punch and Judy booth.

Steve Hansen's Promenade Players at Epcot also had a circus/gypsy wagon with a side that opened to reveal a puppet stage. See Puppetry Journal Spring '85 for more details.

J

SJohnson

Reaction score
When designing a new stage , I would consider portability, durability, and set up time. Also consider where you will be performing.

Our whole puppet show set up fits in the back of a Toyota Matrix - stage and all. People are always amazed that we can fit so much, plus two people in a relatively small car. The stage is made from pvc pipe, curtain rodding, and electrical conduit. The whole thing sits on a wooden base. We have a black curtain that wraps around the back and sides, and this gives the stage it’s strength.

We put our stages through the ringer. So far they have lasted through hundreds of shows. If you are planning on doing lots of shows, I would reconsider using cardboard.

We allow 30 minutes for set up, but in a pinch we’ve done it in 10. If you would like to see our stage going up in time lapse click here: http://www.swazzle.com/behindthescenesvideos1.html

Now that some of our older puppet stages are beginning to show their age, I’ve been thinking a lot about building a new one. My goal is to build something even more portable, more durable and faster to set up. Good luck with your stage.

PuppetMom

Reaction score
Sean, That was an amazing video!! I loved being able to see "behind the scenes"! Thanks for the link!!
Brandy