Puppet-in-Progress: From the foam up

Slackbot

Reaction score
I met a lot of puppeteers and puppet builders at all stages of skill at Dragon*Con this past weekend. When beginners asked me about building puppets, I told them to get some cheap materials and just go to it. Play with cheap foam and fleece, learn how to work with it, and don't be afraid to screw up. Just move on and try again.

Well, after spending a weekend wiggling dolls at people I've found a few screwups in my puppets' construction that I wasn't aware of. Most of them boil down to how bleedin' abrasive reticulated foam is when your hand is rubbing against it for hours. Sometimes my hand came out with red knuckles at the end of the night! So, I resolved to correct that right away by putting fabric over the areas inside the head that the fingers rub against.

You see the problem, of course. It's not like I can reach up through the neck hole with a brush full of contact cement. So, I got out a pair of cuticle-trimming scissors and opened up the seams on the back of the necks. The first subject was Skeeter...

I'm just cutting the thread along an existing seam, and as it's beneath that heavy load of hair nobody will ever see it, so there's no stress about wrecking the puppet. She actually didn't have a reticulated skull, but I had to open her up to correct another glitch:

The purple fabric covers the edges of the back end of her mouthplates, which are rather rough, being sliced out of hard plastic. Unfortunately, I glued it on with the mouth closed rather than open, so purple fabric pulls tight and the mouth resists closing. I had to push to close it, which was very tiring and got really old. Anyhow, I pulled it away from the bottom mouthplate to relieve the tension. It still covers the edges, so the puppeteer's hand is protected, and the mouth is now much easier to work. From there I just Henson-stitched up the back of her neck again, and as the fleece was already fluffed out I only had to brush it a little with a toothbrush to conceal the seam once more.

I was afraid when I took Skeeter to Dragon*Con that her glasses, the most fragile part of the puppet, would break. They held up without a problem, but I managed to break off one of the lenses during the repair. Oh well, gorilla glue to the rescue.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've been working on an illustration project for some months, which is why I haven't been doing anything puppet-wise. Well, I finished that up, and finally have the time to start on a new puppet. So...

Slackbot

Reaction score
I just got commissioned to make a batch of puppets! So, is there anything anyone would like me to document here while I'm making 'em?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a...well, not a rebuild, as this is a character I haven't made before. The pattern is based on a character I have built, but I'm not happy with the shape of the head, and I've gotten much better with hands since then. So I'm making a version 2.0 of the pattern, starting with the head. As usual, it took a few tries to beat the head into shape, which was causing me some stress, as I'm running low on 1/2" foam and I don't know when I'll be able to get some more. Then I realized something new...

That head shape's pretty funky, but I can fix that without too much trouble. It was the very end of the nose that was giving me headaches. Today I realized that I can test-build just the problem part rather than the whole skull, saving lots of foam.

Duh.

So, here are some nose tips made from scrap foam rather than precious bits of my last roll. I think I've gotten it with the one on the right. I had to figure out the right shape for the "parrot bill" curve, and I added a crosswise seam on the front to keep it from being too tall.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Looking good! Love the colour :smile:

For the lips, do you tuck the fleece between the foam and the mouthplate? Or is the fleece glued/sewn to the material youve used?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I sew the "lip" to the felt covering the mouthplate. It's a pain in the neck, but I like the result.

The ears will camouflage that big ol' seam on the side of the head, thank goodness.