Puppet Eyes: Cotton or Styrofoam Balls ?

unheard

Reaction score
I was looking for eye's to start a puppet today and in hobby craft
I found cotton balls and Styrofoam balls are they any good for puppets ?

Melonpool

Reaction score
The best things I've found for eyes are ping pong balls (cut in half for Kermit-like eyes), plastic Christmas Tree Ornaments (you can find these clear year-round at Michael's), and plastic spoons (with the handles cut off to make Ernie-like eyes).

Early on, I used white felt, plastic bowls, whiffle balls, plastic balls from McDonald's Playland (the ones kids jump around in) and whatever else I could find. I also use those plastic globes for yard lights that they sell at hardware stores (it's very similar to the globe they use on the Sesame Street Light pole).

Pretty much, you can use anything for eyes. Or noses. Or puppets. There's no wrong answer -- but whatever you use, try to make it as light as possible. After you hoist a 20-pound puppet for a minute or two, you'll realize that using two bowling balls wasn't the best idea, after all.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Bowling ball eyes? I think that puppet would HAVE to have an anvil nose! And chain mail skin....

Melonpool

Reaction score
I think the next puppet I make will be made entirely out of concrete. At least it will be durable.

wes

Reaction score
plastic spoons regular and soup kind. also plastic ornament balls and easter eggs that are cut on the vertical.

also my next puppet will be knitted together with tears......(like Sponge Bobs Sweater he made for Squidworth) HEheh :smile: