Power out across East Coast and Canada

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just got power back here in Toronto a few hours ago after over 12 hours in the dark. They began restoring power just before midnight, but we didn't get ours until around 5 a.m. Parts of the city are still blacked out. My sister-in-law was trapped in one of the subway tunnels - everyone in the train had to be led out through the tunnels.

They've officially declared a state of emergency across Ontario. Things are actually pretty calm, but they want large businesses to stay closed and most of the train services and subways are closed. I think the airports are shut down too today. We're being asked to conserve power and water for the next day or two until everything is back 100%. Nobody in the affected areas should be using air conditioning today.

No one seems to know what caused the blackout. In New York the officials had some story about Quebec causing a problem with the US grid, but I don't think that is correct as most of Quebec was unaffected by the blackout. People seem to agree now that there was lightning strike (or possibly a fire) at a power station somewhere near Niagara Falls. US and Canadian officials have been arguing all night about which side of the border the problem was on though.

Ontario's Hydro grid had to be unhooked from the U.S. system to get us back up and running so there will probably be reduced power available on both sides of the border today because the two systems won't be feeding each other for awhile.

How is everybody else doing in the Northeast? I understand they have water shortages in parts of Ohio....

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Glad things are beginning to get back to normal. I tell ya what, it's amazing how these things happened like this.

My worry was that there would be looting in the streets and folks getting hurt--the dark tends to bring out the evil in some people.

For me, it makes me hide under a blanket with a flashlight in the bottom of my closet! :embarrassed:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I saw this on the news this afternoon and it didnt look good, people being stuck in lifts and trains and stuff. I hope all is ok and everything gets back to normal ASAP. I hope all of our friends in America are ok!

from, Paul :smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Glad things are beginning to get back to normal. I tell ya what, it's amazing how these things happened like this.

My worry was that there would be looting in the streets and folks getting hurt--the dark tends to bring out the evil in some people.

For me, it makes me hide under a blanket with a flashlight in the bottom of my closet! :embarrassed:
Is that what you did when those nasty storms struck your area a few weeks ago? a good suggestion would be to hide under the blanket with muley! :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The storms? That's a longggg story there, you'll have to read that thread.

Actually, I was joking--there is no room in my closets: if they're not full of clothes, they're full of toys!! The storm saw me running from my bed, dragging along a matress and clothes and a cel phone to the bathroom.

During the storm, Muley hid underneath the bathroom sink--something about the pipes he once saw in a movie that had a flying cow...

July Storm Thread

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Last night Conan started the broadcast of his show with no power, no guests, and no audience. It was pretty funny. Just him and a few of his crew sitting around in the dark and periodically showing video of the mass of people outside, which Conan subdivided in terms of whose show they would have been an audience for. He kept the show going like this for about ten minutes before switching to an old episode. I thought it was kinda cool that he kept it going for a few minutes with only the band to back him up.
Erin

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Conan is certainly respectable for that, I think. I dont like his show, but heck, you gotta give good credit where it's due!

GO CONAN!!

(I bet nobody else did that, huh?)