Possibility of Fraggle Viral videos?

Mupp

Reaction score
So, I was thinking, I know some here had tossed around this idea before...

Maybe after all of "The Muppets" promotion dies down, (or possibly while it is still around) Henson could team up with a partner and create some Fraggle viral videos. As Dr.tooth has said before, the Fraggles really need to be Henson's tent-pole franchise. I was thinking that maybe it would be possible for Henson to work with the same production company that the Muppets Studio did, Soapbox Entertainment.

It would really be a good thing to do, because even if the movie never gets made, at least there will be something new, and if the movie does somehow get made, the viral videos would create a lot of buzz before it gets released. (And the Muppets had a lot of success with that).

I have to admit, I'm still a bit nervous about the idea of a film, with a franchise like this, there are so many things that could go wrong and be tarnished, (Just look at what Disney did to The Lion King with that 1 1/2 movie!) but short-form material with the Fraggles has a lot of promise!

Thoughts?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been calling for Henson to rebuild the Uncle Matt and go out and have on the spot interview viral videos for some time now. Even if they made Henson Alternative virals with the puppeteers just messing around with real people in public and filming those. That's what Henson needs to do... cheap to produce internet material that gets a foothold back into the public eye... THEN they can focus on features and TV shows.

Henson does desperately want to get the Fraggles as their tentpole franchise, but it's going to take more than a (completely amazingly enjoyable) comic book to do that. And if anyone wants to see a movie get made, they have to hype the Franchise back up.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's a good idea about the Uncle Matt videos, mainly because I think there is so much you can do with the whole "postcard"/"silly creatures" concept on a relatively low budget. It might take a bit of time for the videos to break through, because Fraggle Rock has essentially a cult of dedicated fans now and not much general recognition amongst the public, but if the company wants the fraggles to be their hot-ticket item, then they best start working.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is, it's been such a long time since the DVD's were initially released that they really can't do all that much of anything at this point, unless they just rerelease what they already have in shiny packages that say "Catch Fraggle Rock on the Hub" on them. Personally, I just want the comics to star up again (still didn't get the Halloween one).

That said, they REALLY should have worked harder on that Doozer show that they were going to do. Nothing ever came out of that.

Mupp

Reaction score
That said, they REALLY should have worked harder on that Doozer show that they were going to do. Nothing ever came out of that.
Definitely.
When I first saw the concept art. I thought,"It seems kind of odd, but at least its something" Its SO unfortunate that the show didn't get off the ground.

I feel so sorry for Henson, so many intriguing ideas.

I wonder if we will ever see new Fraggle material, or a Dark Crystal sequel.

I would have loved to see a sequel to Labyrinth, instead of the idea changing into Mirror Mask.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is, Henson's best ideas require money. Something that they need someone else to help provide them with. like I said before, even the days of Old Jim, Henson needed business partners to help release movies and home videos and get projects off the ground. I don't want to repeat what I said, but Henson needs to get a new partner, one that's solid and stable.

The problem with a Dark Crystal or Labyrinth sequel is that often times with these sequels that are 20, 30 years after the original movie is trying to convince fans of the originals that they need a sequel. And even when there is one, no matter how hard they try, it just doesn't come out right and the fans don't actually like it all that much. Look at Indiana Jones 4. That's why I wonder why everyone's pressuring them to make Ghostbusters 3 if they're just going to find something wrong with it anyway. But Fraggle Rock demands a film. They should have had one in the 80's, to help spread the series beyond those privileged to see it on HBO. But one never happened, and we've been waiting for one ever since.

Still... the show's on reruns on a strange cable network that I'm guessing comes with a pretty premium package. That's something, but not everything. I wonder if Henson considered putting up full episodes of things on their Youtube account. If anything else, I never saw Faffner Hall and always wanted to. I'm intrigued by the clips I've seen.

Mupp

Reaction score
The problem is, Henson's best ideas require money. Something that they need someone else to help provide them with. like I said before, even the days of Old Jim, Henson needed business partners to help release movies and home videos and get projects off the ground. I don't want to repeat what I said, but Henson needs to get a new partner, one that's solid and stable.....

...The problem with a Dark Crystal or Labyrinth sequel is that often times with these sequels that are 20, 30 years after the original movie is trying to convince fans of the originals that they need a sequel. And even when there is one, no matter how hard they try, it just doesn't come out right and the fans don't actually like it all that much. Look at Indiana Jones 4. That's why I wonder why everyone's pressuring them to make Ghostbusters 3 if they're just going to find something wrong with it anyway. But Fraggle Rock demands a film. They should have had one in the 80's, to help spread the series beyond those privileged to see it on HBO. But one never happened, and we've been waiting for one ever since.

Still... the show's on reruns on a strange cable network that I'm guessing comes with a pretty premium package. That's something, but not everything. I wonder if Henson considered putting up full episodes of things on their Youtube account. If anything else, I never saw Faffner Hall and always wanted to. I'm intrigued by the clips I've seen.
Me too, I would really like to see some full episodes.

There's gotta be SOME company that is willing to team up with Henson.

The only really high profile ones that I can think of are Disney or Lucasfilm.

Or any other big company that I can't think of right now...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney could be a good choice, even though the caveat would be that Disney kinda wants to distance their Muppet ownership from Henson... at least with new projects. And that also depends on how well the movie does. Lucasfilm would make more sense if George wasn't batcrackers. I'd see him constantly trying to replace everything with CGI.

I still think full episodes of classic shows on Youtube or even hulu could really put the company out there.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Would any of those things work if Jim Henson was still alive?

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
Actually, several eps of FR are in fact, legally available in full on YT.
Beginnings
Wembley and the Gorgs
Let the Water Run
You Can't Do That Without A Hat
30m Work Week