Polar fleece

FeLo

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone has used Polar fleece for puppet making before? it is more readily available than antron and was wondering if its any good? any info would be much appreciated...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Polar fleece is a lot more readily available than antron, that's for sure, but even it can be hard to come by... your best bet is checking actual fabric shops, as opposed to general craft stores that also have a fabric department.

If they have the color you're looking for, then that'll be your lucky break.

I can highly recommend polar fleece, it's really fuzzy, and it does a very decent job at hiding the seams, more so than standard polyester fleece; I used it for one of my puppets, and using the Henson Stitch method for the head construction, I was thrilled with the results.

Eaglekiller

Reaction score
I got some more polar fleece at JoAnn's Fabrics last week. It was only $5 a yard!

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
I use it, and I like it...
I also use antron... And I like it more...
But the polar fleece does the job just fine!

wes

Reaction score
Some times i prefer it over antron. It really depends on what your making.

For TV i would use antron, but for frequent use i'd use Polar Fleece.

spcglider

Reaction score
Polar fleece can make hiding seams tricky. But if you're doing live shows, the whole seam thing can be a non-issue.

The main reason to hide seams is for TV work. The camera gets a lot closer to your puppets than an audience does. Usually. Can't make a definitive statement there, but USUALLY...

Polar fleece is generally finer and more soft than antron, so if you're making a puppet that's going to be touched, polar fleece will make it more friendly.

If you're making puppets for heavy use and want to use a more affordable fabric (as you'll be rebuilding frequently), polar fleece is a good way to go.

In the case of detailing my TV puppets, I like using polar fleece in most cases (eyelids and such) as it comes pre-dyed in lots of complimentary colors.

-Gordon

Animal31

Reaction score
If you're making puppets for heavy use and want to use a more affordable fabric (as you'll be rebuilding frequently), polar fleece is a good way to go.

What is considered "Heavy Use"? How much actual usage can you expect from a puppet, do you find you have to rebuild them alot?

Animal31

Reaction score
Polar fleece can make hiding seams tricky. But if you're doing live shows, the whole seam thing can be a non-issue.

The main reason to hide seams is for TV work. The camera gets a lot closer to your puppets than an audience does. Usually. Can't make a definitive statement there, but USUALLY...

Polar fleece is generally finer and more soft than antron, so if you're making a puppet that's going to be touched, polar fleece will make it more friendly.

-Gordon

I'm going back and reading some of the Tutorials regarding using Antron Fleece, do you really have to shave it before using?

Melonpool

Reaction score
I never had to shave it -- though I sort of like the kind of knobby look. Polar Fleece will actually do that after a while as well -- I've had pretty good luck making polar fleece look like Antron by using a hair brush (with bristles -- not a comb) lightly on all of the seams. It'll basically pull up the pile and hide them.

The real drawback is that they don't last nearly as long. I have a Polar Fleece puppet on my desk that's almost identical to a puppet I built out of Antron a year later. The Polar fleece one is dirty and looks about 5 years older than the Antron one.

My suggestion is to use Antron on any puppets you're going to use for awhile (and will be examined with closer scrutiny) and use Polar for background characters and cameos. Still -- the Polar one I have worked at least two conventions before showing wear and tear -- that's 8 days of excessive handling for 12 hours a day, if that helps.

Animal31

Reaction score
I never had to shave it -- though I sort of like the kind of knobby look. Polar Fleece will actually do that after a while as well -- I've had pretty good luck making polar fleece look like Antron by using a hair brush (with bristles -- not a comb) lightly on all of the seams. It'll basically pull up the pile and hide them.

The real drawback is that they don't last nearly as long. I have a Polar Fleece puppet on my desk that's almost identical to a puppet I built out of Antron a year later. The Polar fleece one is dirty and looks about 5 years older than the Antron one.

My suggestion is to use Antron on any puppets you're going to use for awhile (and will be examined with closer scrutiny) and use Polar for background characters and cameos. Still -- the Polar one I have worked at least two conventions before showing wear and tear -- that's 8 days of excessive handling for 12 hours a day, if that helps.

I'm still kind of confused with the wear and tear? Do you mean they just get dirty, or do they start to fall apart after a while..........

Thanks,