Pokémon The Movie 14 ..... Wait, WHAT ?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I haven't watched it in ages. I'm one of the fans who wish it'd either go out with a bang or just quietly go back to the house. It needs to end either way. Now, I'd gripe if there were never a multi-region Team War and J&J never got married, but even this devoted Pokeshipper realized Misty would never end up with Ash. *sigh* At any rate, the last movie I saw was the Darkrai one. I saw bits and pieces of this other one with some little annoying white and green thingie as the "cute telepathic buddy" pokemon, but I just don't want to see any more. At least with the second movie, they showed how it affected the entire world (at least it was the entire world at the time). The third one was a personal story, but still managed to affect people who lived in another region. It seems like all the others were "OMG this most powerful Pokemon ever is gonna destroy the world!" And then ... like ... only one area is really affected. The stated drama never matches the actual drama.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
ive only seen the first three movies...i remember i stopped watching the day ask gave away charizard ..i remember my exact moments i said no dont. he ran away i shut the TV off and i said Im Done

Drtooth

Reaction score
here is a good question..How old is Ash by now?
I dunno... How old is Bart Simpson by now? Still 10. Arthur's still 8. How many Summer vacations can you have to come back to the same class?

I haven't watched it in ages. I'm one of the fans who wish it'd either go out with a bang or just quietly go back to the house. It needs to end either way. Now, I'd gripe if there were never a multi-region Team War and J&J never got married, but even this devoted Pokeshipper realized Misty would never end up with Ash. *sigh* At any rate, the last movie I saw was the Darkrai one. I saw bits and pieces of this other one with some little annoying white and green thingie as the "cute telepathic buddy" pokemon, but I just don't want to see any more. At least with the second movie, they showed how it affected the entire world (at least it was the entire world at the time). The third one was a personal story, but still managed to affect people who lived in another region. It seems like all the others were "OMG this most powerful Pokemon ever is gonna destroy the world!" And then ... like ... only one area is really affected. The stated drama never matches the actual drama.
Firstly... I can never picture Jesse and James marrying... at least each other. I'm not going to further explain it, because you KNOW what I'm talking about. :wink:

Secondly, the problem with Pokemon is deep down, it's a sport anime. Fighting specifically. They're about "I want to be the greatest [fill in the blank] ever" and "In the event I lose, I'm gonna train very hard and beat that opponent someday!" Tropes to the gills! Logically, a show really shouldn't go on as long as this one did before the audience has enough. Some of those only last as long as 5 years, and at least have something more to the plot than "collect all 5000 of our either cute or ferocious looking toys depending on what gender you are."

What keeps Pokemon going is simple. The thing is basically a toy commercial. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's closer to Transformers or G.I. Joe than Animaniacs or something like that. They have to keep the show going to showcase each and every single character, and they keep adding new characters every couple years when a game is released. Basically the show will ONLY die when they stop making video games, and they're gonna make video games a LOOOONG time.

But the thing that bothers me is Nintendo's attitude towards the show. You see, the company refuses to recognize the corny, cheesy but FUN FUN FUN American Nintendo character cartoons... from Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country. The only reason why everything but the Ruby Spears DK series and Nelvana's DKC (which Shout tried very hard to do, but a company that had no plans to release it sat on the rights, selfishly) was because of DIC and Shout. But they find Pokemon high art. I'm sorry, but I get a lot more out of the fun capering of Lou Albano and Danny Wells as the best dang Mario and Luigi we ever had than any pokebattle,... even a good dramatic one. They also refuse to release the Japanese Super Mario anime movie from 1986 EVEN in Japan (and it's quite good). Meanwhile Sega embraced their cartoons. AOSTH Robotnik got a videogame (and was stamped all over merchandise, especially in an Australian Sega based theme park) and SATAM/Archie characters appeared all over Sonic Spinball... there was even a Satam game planned that never happened. Nintendo refuses to believe that Super Mario Super Show and the like even existed. I wish that we had more merchandise that looked like SMBSS Koopa than random production arts.

They DID embrace the Kirby anime... and we were ALMOST going to be bombarded with some cool Kirby merchandise... but 4Kids botched the marketing, as usual. Heck with their dubbing skills, they have NO business sense.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
t needs to end either way. Now, I'd gripe if there were never a multi-region Team War and J&J never got married, but even this devoted Pokeshipper realized Misty would never end up with Ash. *sigh*
Ah, a fellow Pokeshipper :smile: I'm a big anime fan myself, so I realize that long shows tend to get yearly or frequent movies. I stopped watching Pokemon movies about... 10 movies ago I guess XD

muppetsliveon

Reaction score
They took it too far after the first two seasons. They couldn't come up with good names anymore. And then they should have stopped the games with red,blue and yellow. The games are basically all the same storyline.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, if I mention Leiji Matsumoto's name here, who here knows who I'm talking about?

(just making sure we know the big boys of REAL anime! :smile: )