Pigs singing the Happy Wanderer

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
And I would wholeheartedly agree.:big_grin:

Skye said:
Or, maybe that first pig had a feeling... his intuition was in overdrive, and he felt like something was going to happen. Maaayyybeee he had checked his horoscope that day, and it said that he would have a problem if he went happy wandering! Yeah... horoscopes are that exact, aren't they? :wink: So, that was making him feel very, very nervous... and with good reason!
Well the moral of the story is don't listen to horoscopes. As a Christian, I believe they're all rubbish and they cause more problems than they solve.

If that poor foolish pig hadn't been sucked into horoscope predictions he wouldn't have been so upset and maybe he might have noticed the goat and alerted his buddies and together they might have been able to fight him off.
However being distracted by his own fears the other two didn't know about the goat either until it was too late for any of them to do something to scare him off of attacking them. This is mere speculation of course. But he may have been intimidated by the numbers of a trio fighting him off and felt discouraged from sending the boulders down since he wasn't able to whittle their strength of arms down one at a time.

Well it's another interesting theorized scenario isn't it?:wink:

Skye

Reaction score
That's a good moral, Marty.

And that is a very interesting speculation. That certainly could have worked to fight the evil goat off. But maybe the goat still would've thought that the boulders could take care of the three of them, anyway. But it would be kind of funny to see the goat going around them while trying to figure out how to release the boulder, getting completely discouraged, waving a hoof at them as if to say "Ehhh, forget it!!" and run off, shaking his head. :big_grin:

Bill Bubble Guy said:
Well it's another interesting theorized scenario isn't it?:wink:
They just keep on comin', don't they? :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Yes they do , don't they? :smile:

But getting back to the particulars of the sketch itself Caroline. Isn't it amazing how the lyrics of the solo verse sung by the last pig were so easily adaptable to the dark humour of the sketch?
Having him trembling and the way Jerry Nelson had the pig sing the lines:
"O may I go a-wandering until the day I (pause) die"
And also special emphasis upon certain words in the rest of the lyrics:
"O may I always laugh and sing"

In other words oh please may I always laugh and sing when I reach that dread part of the next chorus. :big_grin:

Skye

Reaction score
Absolutely, I loved that. And while I actually don't remember noticing the "O may I always..." part (but I will certainly check it out), putting that emphasis on certain words really was perfect, made it even more appropriate, and really helped to drive the point home. It was most definitely a very well thought-out sketch... perfect plot, and very perfect song with perfect Muppeteers to go along with it!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, after whaching it, I never realized the goat was being evil. I thought he just showed ou to laugh and be silly. I guess I never really looked that much into it.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I suppose it's how you look at it. I mean we just sort of coined the phrase evil goat because he's a muppet goat murdering three of the muppet pigs in cold blood:eek: In the context of the dark humour sketch he is an evil goat who gets away with his crimes and the audience laughs with him, it being darkly funny.

Of course it could easily happen in real life too where it would not be funny. Nor would the goat be evil for it is in a goat's nature to butt and push things into people. If he's sending somebody tumbling down a mountain or shoving large rocks into them, he has no idea what he's doing. He's only doing his own animalistic impulses.

Funny thought though. To see the muppet goat do it makes him evil and it's humourous. But if a real goat did it to people it would be tragic and the animal is neutral. What a contrast indeed:wink:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ha ha... That's a good point Marty. But another reason a goat might do that is to defend his teritory or it might be scared and trying to defend itself.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Ha ha... That's a good point Marty. But another reason a goat might do that is to defend his teritory or it might be scared and trying to defend itself.
Very interesting point William. To be honest the thought that the goat in the sketch may have been seeking to remove those three invaders from his territory has crossed my mind in the past.