"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Teheheman

Reaction score
I personally think if they made these characters like they did on those MetLife commercials, then the movie should be good. but 3D/CGI might work if they do it right. I guess it depends on whether the story is any good cause if you don't have a good script, the animation could be the best thing ever, but the movie will end up in the $5 bin a month and a half later. It's good that they aren't releasing this right away. They have time to get it right, and get it perfected. Did any of this make sense cause I tend to ramble.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
2015 isn't too far off. We've past the mid point of October... that's barely 2-3 years away, depending on the release date. That seems par for when a movie's in development.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I always find it frightning when seeing such a classic name in the animation / cartoon industry being revived into a movie, especially CGI. Just look at what happened with Scooby, Lorax and Yogi. Heck, anyone here about the Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker CGI movies? I'm trying to get these projects to stop just seeing what happened to The Looney Tunes Show. Bugs means a lot to me and Woody is very simular being the two top trickster characters in cartoon history and just how Alvin and The Chipmunks and all these revived CGI films go with toilet humor, modern slang, modern music and break dancing, etc. I'm already steamed enough but Bugs and Woody, I want them to be left alone unless they are done respectfully and done in 2D animation. Space Jam I found respectful (except Lola Bunny, if Bugs was going to have a girl friend, let there be a female with the same personality type as his (ENTP if anyone studies Myers Briggs). Something like Tank Girl but in Rabbit Form in my opinion. But personally I like Bugs as he is. It already drives me nuts with all this PC on comedy where poor old Elmer can't be a hunter or Yomanite Sam with his Guns shooting like mad like he usually does.
To Breifly but it, they already got such a strong legacy and hopefully this generation won't ruin it for the current generations who don't know the real classics. I'm just very thankful The Three Stooges got such strong respect with their revival. I was amazed. Even going deep on Moe's character, it was still in character, I LOVED IT and my best friend too and we are very old school fans. :smile:

Ignatz

Reaction score
What I'm most worried about is the news of this is coming around the time older animated children's properties are popular and most of these revolve around the storyline of the animated characters now CGI entering the live action real world (Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Smurfs there are probably more examples). The last thing I wont a Peanuts films to be is that. I don't like feature film remakes of series that pull the main focus from the characters from the original product to a boring, usually celebrity character who interacts with them (I felt the new Muppets movie was guilty of this a little). I think this will be the worse thing that could happen to it. Other things I think they might do to it is to focus just on Snoopy and none of the other characters and/or add adults into the mix because the feel the film will set a bad example.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's wait for things to actually happen before we complain. There could always be an exception to the rule. I don't care too much for most of these updates (some are actually quite good for what they are), but at least when they happen, we usually get some DVD release out of it. We wouldn't have Smurf comics published in English for the first time ever if it wasn't for that dumb live action film, nor would we have a DVD release of the superior film, The Smurfs and the Magic Flute.

Peanuts don't really need a movie to be relevant, as they always run the specials and they constantly crank out merchandise. Other things do. It's a sad fact, sure... Popeye's going to get a wave of popularity because Sony is going to have a CGI film based on that (that I'm pretty worried about), but Roger Langridge is writing a series of Popeye comics for IDW that are almost forgeries of the original Thimble Theater. That's a win in my book. Other than that, Popeye was dormant as a franchise for years. We got WB to release the old shorts, that was it.

And I'm pretty sure they know if they screw this film up, they're never going to hear the end of it and the Schulz legacy/estate/whatever will refuse to let any of their characters out like that again. It's not like they're a sign out the characters with reckless abandon estate. Otherwise the TV specials wouldn't be based off of existing strips, and we'd see them in more than MetLife ads.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Let's wait for things to actually happen before we complain. There could always be an exception to the rule.
But the thing is, I think the studios count on that attitude and hence don't make the effort they should. They know the audience will always come "just in case" a movie might be good. I don't like being manipulated that way.

but at least when they happen, we usually get some DVD release out of it.
I agree that is the only good thing to come out of these remakes, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But the thing is, I think the studios count on that attitude and hence don't make the effort they should. They know the audience will always come "just in case" a movie might be good. I don't like being manipulated that way.
But to think that whoever runs Schulz's whatever won't be rigorous to keep the integrity of the characters and franchise is a bit much. Most of these films are lousy because there is no hands on input. If the Boom produced Peanuts comics have a lot of rigorous, hands on regulations (and it does), I'm sure they'd double that for a movie. Plus, it's not like Inspector Gadget or something obscure. Ever man woman and child on the planet has seen Peanuts. There's not a lot of room for artistic license without REALLY upsetting anyone.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But to think that whoever runs Schulz's whatever won't be rigorous to keep the integrity of the characters and franchise is a bit much.
They may have good intentions, that doesn't mean they have good taste or judgment when it comes to creativity.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We are talking about the same guy who stipulated in his will that forbade anyone to continue the comic strip. I don't know how they were able to let comic book adaptions slide by, but there is nothing in the issues I've read that wouldn't have been perfectly in place in the strip, a TV special, or the short lived TV show. Of course, those people (the artists and writers) were hand picked by the estate and have collaborated with them on some projects (I don't know which ones). The guy who's writing the movie is a Blue Sky regular, though. That's the only variable in the equation.

Plus, if they really were that loose with the license, we would have had a Peanuts movie by now (the other 4 were done under Schulz). I'm sure it took a LOT of convincing for them to grant such a license. And they all know if they screw this up, people will take notice. As long as the thing isn't as bland as "I want a Dog for Christmas Charlie Brown." They have no one but themselves to blame for that dragging on and being a dull pastiche of existing strips. Especially since some of those strips were an episode of the cartoon series.

I haven't seen the entire "Happiness is a Warm Puppy," but that one seemed better.