PBS updates daytime TV lineup for students learning at home during COVID-19 crisis

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many local PBS stations are modifying their daily kids' lineups beginning on Monday March 30 to help the millions of students across the country now learning at home for the first time.

Numerous stations are rearranging their programming blocks so that they fit into a specific age range at specific dayparts throughout each weekday to better accompany those students now learning at home. For example, pre-kindergarten through 3rd grade shows may air in the early morning hours, 4th-8th grade shows may air in the mid-morning and 9th-12th grade shows may air in the afternoon. Normally, PBS stations air preschool and kids programming throughout the day in most markets.

Some PBS stations are also broadcasting lessons directly from teachers to help students who don't have internet access at home.

PBS will continue to air all-day preschool and kids programming (like Sesame Street, Odd Squad, Wild Kratts and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood) on their PBS Kids subchannel.

Check your local PBS station at pbskids.org/tv-times and let us know what your station is airing during this unprecedented time.

Erine81981

Reaction score
This morning I went to check on my local PBS station for a new or Re-Run of Season 49 of Sesame Street from my Satellite Service Dish Network. When I went to look for Sesame Street it was no where in sight. I thought maybe the guide was doing that thing where it shows something is on but it's really the show that normally comes on at that time but when I got home it wasn't Sesame Street but what it showed on the guide. NOVA was showing in the morning at 8am not the normal PBS Kids shows. There is a kids block but only from 6 am to 8 and then turns to regular programing that kids wouldn't be interested in. All I'm wanting to know is there anyone else who's not being able to watch any Sesame Street episodes cause for some reason they changed the channel and I can't get this other channel called "KERA Kids" from Dish. Please let me know. I'm not upset but just I enjoy getting to see new or reruns of the Seasons when they finally show them on my local PBS/KERA.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I believe many, if not all, PBS stations have kind of reoriented their schedules to accommodate the stay-at-home-ness. So certain shows are now at certain times of the day because that's when that particular age group would be watching or something along those lines.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I believe many, if not all, PBS stations have kind of reoriented their schedules to accommodate the stay-at-home-ness. So certain shows are now at certain times of the day because that's when that particular age group would be watching or something along those lines.
I understand but not sure why they aren't showing the PBS Kids shows like they had just of last week. It wasn't like the channel has been like this since the whole pandemic started or a month ago. I mean this just started of this past weekend.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand but not sure why they aren't showing the PBS Kids shows like they had just of last week. It wasn't like the channel has been like this since the whole pandemic started or a month ago. I mean this just started of this past weekend.
KERA changed their programming on Monday March 30 according to their press release linked below. Sesame Street continues to air multiple times a day on their PBS Kids subchannel.

You can also watch Season 49 episodes from PBS at the link below. The most recent episode is "Earth Day" which premiered on Monday April 19. Keep in mind, most of the PBS on-line episodes are missing the show intros.

TV guide data is provided by two different companies in the US, Gracenote (formerly Tribune) and Rovi (which purchased Tivo in 2016). Gracenote's guide data is much more accurate. Since Dish Network's guide data is supplied by Rovi that likely has contributed to your confusion. It's possible that prior to this week, Dish Network was displaying inaccurate guide data based on the previous PBS Kids all-day schedule.

Erine81981

Reaction score
KERA changed their programming on Monday March 30 according to their press release linked below. Sesame Street continues to air multiple times a day on their PBS Kids subchannel.
Thanks Phill but Dish Network doesn't have that channel.

You can also watch Season 49 episodes from PBS at the link below. The most recent episode is "Earth Day" which premiered on Monday April 19. Keep in mind, most of the PBS on-line episodes are missing the show intros.
I want to watch it, thanks again but I also want to be able to record it to a DVD since I enjoy collecting certain episodes of the show

TV guide data is provided by two different companies in the US, Gracenote (formerly Tribune) and Rovi (which purchased Tivo in 2016). Gracenote's guide data is much more accurate. Since Dish Network's guide data is supplied by Rovi that likely has contributed to your confusion. It's possible that prior to this week, Dish Network was displaying inaccurate guide data based on the previous PBS Kids all-day schedule.
I thought the same thing and went ahead and DVR the time when it normally comes on and what I DVR was what was shown on my guide. My KERA/PBS just started doing this of this week. I knew that re-runs of the last season airs on Mondays and repeats the episodes again during the same week but this channel isn't showing Sesame Street at all. They have a 2 hour block in the morning from 6am to 8am and after that it's like you said 9th and 12th grade type shows. Thanks again Phil. I'll find some way to get to watch and collect the certain episodes I want to keep. You have helped a lot.

Jakob

Reaction score
3 of my PBS stations are airings these programs. WCET, WPTD and KET.