Overused Songs in Movies or TV

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
"Stayin' Alive" every year since it's debut.
*****= Worst band EVER.

It's overused because it's the hip new thing. It's like a Lonely Island sketch on SNL, only with no joke, and it's really supposed to be like that.

Seriously... TERRIBLE! And that other song of there's... why, there's more soul in this song:

Oh yes, that reminds me: This song has been used so many times that nobody even remembers who sung it

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a music cue that I only found used twice, but even then it's used way too much because...well...

It was first used in an Arby's commercial

And it's probably heavily associated with it as a result.

Now... why is it overused?

Well, Fox had the brilliant idea to use the same song cue for a certain dramatic series. And it has the unintended effect of making it hilarious.

EMPIRE! We have the MEATS!

Convincing John

Reaction score
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" (both the Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross versions) and Aretha Franklin's "Rescue Me"...so overplayed in movies and on the radio.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
There's a music cue that I only found used twice, but even then it's used way too much because...well...

It was first used in an Arby's commercial

And it's probably heavily associated with it as a result.

Now... why is it overused?

Well, Fox had the brilliant idea to use the same song cue for a certain dramatic series. And it has the unintended effect of making it hilarious.

EMPIRE! We have the MEATS!
Sheesh, those Arby's commercials are freakin' scary.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Europe- "The Final Countdown". Loved it back in 1986 when it first came out. After 30 years used for sporting events, commercials (any song used in a Geico commercial is the kiss of death) please lay this one to rest. I have recurring nightmares of big hair and spray-on pants.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

I notice both Disney and Nick had a tendancy to use this one a lot.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I mean, I love that song, so count me in! Certainly doesn’t hurt that the 2 films I’ve heard it in are among my favorites (no points for guessing either, given how one is given away by this website and the other by my avatar), plus Paul Simon has the same birthday as me.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Paul Simon too, I've just come to notice that particular song of his tends to get used in movies that show us flashbacks to the 1970s - including THE MUPPETS (2011).