Our New Puppet Web Series! Starship Sassafrass!

crazy chris

Reaction score
Hello fellow creators...puppeteers...puppet creators and puppet fans! We are proud to present EPISODE 3 of our 6 part Sassascout Adventure Mini Series! It's my acting debut. So what better reason to check it out and make fun of me! AM I RIGHT?! lolol...

We are slowly learning more and more tricks to make the show look a little better each time and we are super proud of this particular episode... stick with it til the end as the adventure ramps up!

Please be sure and pass the word to everyone you know who loves sci fi...puppets...action..adventure...and cupcakes (because everyone loves cupcakes!)

Please LIKE and SUBSCRIBE! And leave us a comment...Let us know whatcha think!!

....AND STAY TUNED FOR MORE SASSADVENTURES! :big_grin: :big_grin:

theSHE124

Reaction score
Review Rundown Time:

The first four minutes is nice scenery in all, though it felt like a song had to be there. Then again, it seemed better instrumental as it was too chipper for Stix & Stones. Have you guys written anymore original tracks? The mini-series would be nice if had 2 more...

Stones isn't good at listening, is he? Funny! He sounds like someone I can relate to. Trust me on this one: those who don't listen are worse than those who do bad!

Dr. T. talking to Boomer was funny, but for some reason, I wasn't gluing to the moment as much. What does that have to do anything going on the Starship or the pink planet? Right now, that moment between 5:26-7:07 or so is downright the weakest link of Part 3. :boo:

So u wanna be made fun of? Here it goes: You are a washed-up Obi-Wan. (Also, Benny's funnier than you. :zany: Coo-kah-loo! Coo-kah-loo! Coo-kah-loo!) Still, I do like that traditional profession of Nerwve-Herder. What's a Nerwve? Is that a cousin of those Truffles? Trumboes? Whatever you call those fuzzy balls...

What's with that bit starting on 7:47? Is it to provide the reason why Silas has that fun water cup to share? The transition to it should've been done by a swipe instead of a basic cut. Otherwise, it looks like something that people would click to the next video because they think it's over already. Better not be another crutch to the flow of the story.:confused:

'ALL ROBOTS MUST BE LEFT OUTSIDE!' Even gas stations in space have rules! :laugh: The Scouts never called on the cellphone inside that Station 7-11 to the Starship--I guess they'll do that once all in the group are back together, that's their primary concern right now!

Overall, Part 3 is an ideal interlude for the whole plotline, a 'Calm Before the Storm' kinda scenario! :drool:

crazy chris

Reaction score
Review Rundown Time:

The first four minutes is nice scenery in all, though it felt like a song had to be there. Then again, it seemed better instrumental as it was too chipper for Stix & Stones. Have you guys written anymore original tracks? The mini-series would be nice if had 2 more...

Stones isn't good at listening, is he? Funny! He sounds like someone I can relate to. Trust me on this one: those who don't listen are worse than those who do bad!

Dr. T. talking to Boomer was funny, but for some reason, I wasn't gluing to the moment as much. What does that have to do anything going on the Starship or the pink planet? Right now, that moment between 5:26-7:07 or so is downright the weakest link of Part 3. :boo:

So u wanna be made fun of? Here it goes: You are a washed-up Obi-Wan. (Also, Benny's funnier than you. :zany: Coo-kah-loo! Coo-kah-loo! Coo-kah-loo!) Still, I do like that traditional profession of Nerwve-Herder. What's a Nerwve? Is that a cousin of those Truffles? Trumboes? Whatever you call those fuzzy balls...

What's with that bit starting on 7:47? Is it to provide the reason why Silas has that fun water cup to share? The transition to it should've been done by a swipe instead of a basic cut. Otherwise, it looks like something that people would click to the next video because they think it's over already. Better not be another crutch to the flow of the story.:confused:

'ALL ROBOTS MUST BE LEFT OUTSIDE!' Even gas stations in space have rules! :laugh: The Scouts never called on the cellphone inside that Station 7-11 to the Starship--I guess they'll do that once all in the group are back together, that's their primary concern right now!

Overall, Part 3 is an ideal interlude for the whole plotline, a 'Calm Before the Storm' kinda scenario! :drool:
Thanks for another awesome review theSHE!

I wanted to give the audience a sense of the magnitude of the planet and the distance the characters were traveling...so we decided on a montage... i asked Nick the composer to create a lighthearted folky version of our theme song..

We have an original song in episode 4 and a reprise of an old one in episode 5... so that just might meet our quota? lolol original songs are hard!! lol

The Dr T moment serves a couple purposes... its meant to show us that the ship is still oblivious that the boys are missing....and that they are bored without them...it is also used to break up the scenes from the planet and allow time to pass without the entire planet sequence being 1 long scene.... but to be completely honest... this scene was part of a longer segment ..in wich Dr. T gets a video post card from another country with a little puppet giving the kids a glimpse of other cultures... however it was cut short when the filming of that video segment couldnt happen at the last minute... so me made do with what we had filmed...

Its actually Nerf Herder... It is a throwaway to the line princess leia delivers in star wars when she calls Han a "scruffy nerf herder"... We wanted a mystical character who would give the boys some advice and foreshadow their journey ahead... and also add a little comedy relief... We had multiple nods to Star Wars...and a tiny nod to The Wizard of Oz... well...atleast we thought it was clever...LOLOLOL...

Nerfs are definitely the second cousins to the trebles...but instead of fur ...they are foam...and multiple colors... like the nerf we all know and love... u will catch a glimpse of them in episode 6!

The cutaway to the Sector 711 commercial had a few purposes... first and foremost... i neglected to film the segment where Silas actually hands the cup to the boys... and by the time we realized it...i had shaved my beard...and rather than butcher the continuity... we decided to expound on the joke about 7-11's being EVERYWHERE...even on this bizarre mysteriously "deserted" planet...

In the writing room... it began with a big gulp being miraculously pulled out of nowhere... and snowballed into various references throughout...

The split up scene with dex , kelvin and steve was originally meant to be standing out in the desert.... but a few weeks back it hit me... we needed our Mos Isely moment...our Cantina moment...where the gang find this hub of activity in the middle of the desert...much like Luke and Obi wan... so i wanted a busy parking lot...and a bunch of loitering droids seemed to fit the bill... it allowed us opportunity to pay homoge to some fun sci fi history as well...

Yeah... at times you have to suspend disbelief to further the story...if they had made a call on the local payphone (no intergalactic service anyways) they would miss out on what happens later... We wouldnt want to spoil that fun! lol

Thanks again for the dissection!! Food for thought every time!

cc

theSHE124

Reaction score
Oh--a quote from Star Wars! Not the first nod I've seen on this show. Thanks for the gist explanation! Y'all really good at compiling more wordplay! (I didn't mean to ask more details about Nerfs. Wuh-ho! Spoiler alert! :ouch:)

Nice to know you amateurs can keep yourselves together. The children shows I often see tend to make anticipation/foreshadow more obvious--it's not gonna hurt your rep!

crazy chris

Reaction score
Oh--a quote from Star Wars! Not the first nod I've seen on this show. Thanks for the gist explanation! Y'all really good at compiling more wordplay! (I didn't mean to ask more details about Nerfs. Wuh-ho! Spoiler alert! :ouch:)

Nice to know you amateurs can keep yourselves together. The children shows I often see tend to make anticipation/foreshadow more obvious--it's not gonna hurt your rep!
LOL... yeah we are such die hard Star Wars fans... we have to pay homage every chance we get! Sorry bout the spoiler...tee hee...

I think this mini series will make more sense when watched in its entirety like a movie...or upon a second viewing... We love the anticipation of whats to come...so we try not to explain away everything immediately...id like the viewer to be right there with us... experiencing this particular adventure in real time...

We love kids...and loved performing for kids at our theater... but we never ever spoke down to them...or considered them less intelligent... and i think that helped our success ... we always entertained the adults as well... and i think this web series sort of transcends a kids show... luckily...we arent controlled by a governing committee who decides exactly how we have to go about teaching kids....or dumb down our story so that kids "get it" immediately...but rest assured... there is a life lesson at play for the boys....and they will learn it in time...

My favorite things as a kid were the things i didnt quite understand... it gave me a thirst for knowledge...to figure things out... to "get" it..and in pre internet days... that meant sometimes YEARS before it sunk in...

I also enjoyed the way kids movies were at times dark... like death scenes in LAND BEFORE TIME...and BAMBI.... its okay for something to scare a kid... or show them the wrong choices...to help teach lessons that inform them about wrong and right...

in the 70s and early 80s.. there were films that scared me to death...meant for kids.... this is my favorite... a totally dark and depressing film... but it still haunts me today and seeps into my creative work space...

theSHE124

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about dumming--you think I'm that idiotic? I still think your Dr. T moment makes no sense to Part 3; I didn't mean to make you rant about your past experience.

crazy chris

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about dumming--you think I'm that idiotic? I still think your Dr. T moment makes no sense to Part 3; I didn't mean to make you rant about your past experience.
Oh dear... i think there may have been a miscommunication... i love your review... i didnt mean to seem like i was ranting... just talking about our process a little bit... its fun to talk shop...since very few people care enough to even comment...

My apologies if I offended.

As i said before... the Dr. T segment is just a break from the action and a way to touch base with the ship... when the show is called Starship Sassafrass... and we never see the ship...it just seems somehow wrong...lol.. so every episode will visit the ship for a moment or two to let the audience know they are still out there... hundreds of thousands of miles away... bored and having a mundane experience without the kids...

crazy chris

Reaction score
Just reread my comments and i truly have no idea how you took offense... deeply sorry but baffled a bit.

theSHE124

Reaction score
I'm just as baffled & crazy as--well, Crazy Chris! :cluck: Sometimes, I might be typing down the wrong kinda words that seems to cause off-topic posts. That it feels like I havta take apology for.:embarrassed: