Oscar's attitude

P

Princeton

I'm thinking maybe :grouchy: was just created to get on the same level of preschoolers, who can occasionally feel that way, but for the 30+ years that SS has been on the air :grouchy: has always had a very severe attitude problem. Anyone have any ideas?

P

Princeton

Boy, not even one reply? The CSS forum is always the most popular one; I figured this'd be a real hot thread.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
It's either written in "The Works" or discussed on the "Wonderful World of Jim Henson" PBS documentary, that Oscar's poor attitude is to relate to toddler's frustrations and meet them on a level to show that everyone gets grumpy, so according to that, his poor attitude was deliberatelt intentional.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Oscar's behavior

To quote 'The Works',on Oscars behavior:

"Preschoolers know all about grouches-they can be pretty grumpy themselves.That's why they have no difficulty in identifying with Oscar,the ultimate Grouch.To say that Oscar-who lives in a garbage can-is a skeptic is to indulge in understatement. He takes nothing on trust,and he is not shy about expressing his disdain for the mealy-mouthed politeness practiced by the other inhabitants of Sesame Street. Somehow,though,he manages to remain a sympathetic character."

Oscar does have his mood swings,but he does manage also to lighten up every once in awhile.:smirk: Hope that helps a little Brian.

Splurge

Reaction score
Funny you should mention this. I heard that in next year for Season 37, they're going to begin phasing Oscar out for just this reason.

I think this is a travesty. :grouchy: What do you think?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
JaniceFerSure said:
To quote 'The Works',on Oscars behavior:

"Preschoolers know all about grouches-they can be pretty grumpy themselves.That's why they have no difficulty in identifying with Oscar,the ultimate Grouch.To say that Oscar-who lives in a garbage can-is a skeptic is to indulge in understatement. He takes nothing on trust,and he is not shy about expressing his disdain for the mealy-mouthed politeness practiced by the other inhabitants of Sesame Street. Somehow,though,he manages to remain a sympathetic character."
Thanks JFS, I knew I read that some where.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
One good thing about Oscar is,he may be grouchy,rude and rather mean at times,but he's not an evil character.He set an example of this toward the end of"Elmo's Adventures In Grouchland",when he gathered up all of his fellow grouches and outdid the movie's villian.So at least he's not a bad wicked character.Besides there have been muppets who've been meaner than Oscar.I know she's Classic Muppets not Sesame Street,but Miss Piggy has been quite meaner than Oscar,from time to time. :grouchy: :mad:

Splurge

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Sounds like an April Fool's joke. :smirk:
Spot on, MuppetDude. :big_grin:

Well, you can't blame a guy for trying.