Oscar the Grouch at museum in D.C.!

Fozzie54

Reaction score
Thought I'd share the fact that they have a real Oscar the Grouch :grouchy: (one actually used during Sesame Street filming) at the Smithsonian Museum of American History in Washington D.C. I didn't realize they had him there, so when I saw him I was just overwhelmed. I've always wanted to see a real muppet, that I nearly cried about a dream come true. :embarrassed: Wish it had been Fozzie, but Oscar was very cool as well. Though I'd let you all know in case you weren't aware he was there. Go visit- it's free! :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Fozzie54 said:
Thought I'd share the fact that they have a real Oscar the Grouch :grouchy: (one actually used during Sesame Street filming) at the Smithsonian Museum of American History in Washington D.C. I didn't realize they had him there, so when I saw him I was just overwhelmed. I've always wanted to see a real muppet, that I nearly cried about a dream come true. :embarrassed: Wish it had been Fozzie, but Oscar was very cool as well. Though I'd let you all know in case you weren't aware he was there. Go visit- it's free! :smile:
Aw man! That's so cool! I can't believe it, an actual Muppet character on display in a museum! That's kind of like how Germany has the original :stick_out_tongue: :frown: muppets on display in a museum. But Oscar, that's cool! I wish they also had the original brownish-green Grover, I'm DYING to see what he looked like!

crazy ernie

Reaction score
Yeah,I've seen it.Kermit used to be in the smithsonian,but he was taken back.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think that they have several Muppets (including Bert and Ernie) as part of their permanent collection and they just rotate the display occasionally. The JHC also has a live exhibit division and they have loaned/rented pieces to the Smithsonian.

There are lots of other places to see real Muppets. The Centre for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta has a couple in their collection (including puppets from the Dark Crystal) as does the Canadian Museum of Civilization (though they are currently not on display there) and the CBC Museum in Toronto Canada has puppets from Canadian Sesame Street. There are others in Europe as well and Muppets are often loaned out to various Museums internationally.

Does anyone know of any other current exhibitions?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I remember a news story where an original Bert and Ernie were stolen from a museum in Germany...

Darn Germans!

radionate

Reaction score
I just got back from Leland Mississippi (Jim's birthplace) where they have a poser Kermit in a swamp scene.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I think that they have several Muppets (including Bert and Ernie) as part of their permanent collection and they just rotate the display occasionally. The JHC also has a live exhibit division and they have loaned/rented pieces to the Smithsonian.

Does anyone know of any other current exhibitions?
I was just at the Smithsonian last month. I also saw the real Oscar during Caroll Spinney's book tour in May. I have a feeling that the Oscar at the Smithsonian was built specifically for display as it looks very, very different than the functioning puppet. It's actually much smaller in the head.

In terms of other exhibitions...in Stratford Upon Avon in the UK there's a bear museum that has the original Fozzie Bear puppet. I didn't see it personally as I didn't feel like paying 5 pounds just to see Fozzie at the time. But...there you go.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ol' Buddy Bert said:
the UK there's a bear museum that has the original Fozzie Bear puppet. I didn't see it personally as I didn't feel like paying 5 pounds just to see Fozzie at the time. But...there you go.
:mad:
You should have--just to get a picture for me!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
I remember a news story where an original Bert and Ernie were stolen from a museum in Germany...

Darn Germans!
Yep, just like ,'signature. Is it just me, or is Germany a country that is obsessed with Muppets? I mean: 1. They were one of the first to co-produced their own version of Sesame Street. 2. They bought JHC from the Henson family a few years ago. 3. They had the original Ernie and Bert muppets on display. Yep, I agree: Darn Germans!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ol' Buddy Bert said:
I was just at the Smithsonian last month. I also saw the real Oscar during Caroll Spinney's book tour in May. I have a feeling that the Oscar at the Smithsonian was built specifically for display as it looks very, very different than the functioning puppet. It's actually much smaller in the head.
Caroll never came to my town on his book signing tour. I really wanted to meet him face-to-face. :cry: