Origins of the Muppetverse

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that.
Well I realize after posting that, that there has to be *some* sort
of Muppetverse story arc.

I do think Kermit really came from a swamp, even though he's an actor. I think the Fraggles came from Fraggle caves. Are they merely recreating their home lives in the Fraggle Rock show?

With the Muppets mockumentary mini series that never aired,
is this the Muppets playing themselves or once again acting?

In the show Greg the Bunny, it deals with this notion of a puppet world, but like the universe of Roger Rabbit they had to deal with prejudice from living in the human world.

But here's my point...there is so many Muppet productions...
the Jim Henson Hour, which takes place in an intergalactic
space station satellite center where they sometimes interact with Fantasy Creature Shop Characters. There is the Muppets episode of The Cosby Show that was "just a dream"(yet where Planet Koozebane is referneced, so perhaps there is a real Koozebane in the Muppetverse)

There is the Land of Gorch, Fraggle Rock, the world of Sesame Street, the Wubbulous World of Dr Seuss, Bear in the Big Blue House universe, Scary Scary Monsters, Big Bag, Stinky and Jake,
Animal Jam, Puppet Up and the world of Henson Alternative(of which I hear they are making a movie about their universe), and so forth.

Basically, from Sam and Friends 1955 to Pajanimals in 2009, it's a VERY big Muppetverse to say the least.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
*perks up* Wait, Henson Alternative is getting a movie about their universe? *sighs as Bobby and Samson might just get another shot at fame ...*

Beauregard

Reaction score
My thoughts about the Muppetverse are kinda Greg the Bunny-like, I suppose, although I've never seen it myself. Where, the Muppets as a race have always had prejudice against them, and where until Sam and Friends and then Sesame Street took off, they were almost utterly unseen by the human eye. Kinda how Travelling Matt is usually not seen by humans.

I don't quite know at what stage "talking animals" like the dog from KSY became gradually more Muppet-like, but I do think that it was Kermit getting on a bike and heading out of the swamp that forced people to finally acknowledge the existence of these Talking Muppet creatures.

Similar to the scene at the end of KSY where people realise the Frogs can talk for the first time...And where that "Roy" like frog spoke to the Doc in his biology class, before he got called a Froggy-pants...Maybe encounters of that kind have always happened and no one realised.

Yes, the Muppets are actors, acting. But the shows and movies do also parallel their lives to an extent.

beaker

Reaction score
*perks up* Wait, Henson Alternative is getting a movie about their universe? *sighs as Bobby and Samson might just get another shot at fame ...*
Yep! You can read all about it here:
http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2009/02/could-hensons-happytime-murders-lead-to.html

It looks like it will include puppets from the HA Universe(Puppet Up, etc) and take place in that world. I definitely consider these guys all Muppets given so many of the puppets are from Jim Henson Muppet productions.

Incidentally, for awhile JHC was known by the logo "HA!" for henson associates.

beaker

Reaction score
My thoughts about the Muppetverse are kinda Greg the Bunny-like, I suppose, although I've never seen it myself. Where, the Muppets as a race have always had prejudice against them, and where until Sam and Friends and then Sesame Street took off, they were almost utterly unseen by the human eye. Kinda how Travelling Matt is usually not seen by humans.
Whoah, that's a good thought. I think given the Muppets acknowledge Jim Henson, his role in the Muppetverse is that he was the first human to give them a chance and their first break.
I tend to think stories like The Movie Movie are a loose composit of how they all met. Kermit being in a swamp, then discovered. Fozzie was down on his luck working cabaret and underground lounge acts.

Yes, the Muppets are actors, acting. But the shows and movies do also parallel their lives to an extent.
Couldnt have said it better.

I do find it interesting how Gonzo has said he's not really an alien, and Kermit and Piggy in interviews have said they aren't married in real life. Gonzo once in 2002 I believe, did a rarely seen live webcast chat and spilled some interesting stuff. Getting to see the Muppets performed in person is a trip, within the Muppetverse it's clear these characters have been at this a very long time.