Original TMS Zoot Ending Found on YouTube!

unclematt

Reaction score
Very cool to see that, I am pretty sure that that was new to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess this is circumstances beyond control... but I HATE when they rewrite history by changing logos at the ends of programs for syndication/home entertainment release. I'm not a huge logo buff or anything, but I want to see the project as it WAS... I especially hate how the Inspector Gadget DVD's had the lame "Wonderful World of DIC" logo instead of using the older masters with Gadget hitting about the I, dotting it. And most of the other DIC stuff has the original aired logos in tact. Again, I could almost care less in that manner... but the Gadget specific DIC logo is very special.

It's gonna be fun on a bun when they force them to put that butt ugly "Cookie jar Entertainment" logo at the end of everything now. Yuck!

In this case, cutting off the ITC logo RUINED a lot of episode specific closings. The Dudley Moore episode for one... Why they didn't have separate masters for "clean" closings is beyond me. That way they can monkey around with changing ownership withOUT changing the endings entirely.

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
In this case, cutting off the ITC logo RUINED a lot of episode specific closings. The Dudley Moore episode for one... Why they didn't have separate masters for "clean" closings is beyond me. That way they can monkey around with changing ownership withOUT changing the endings entirely.
I agree with you Dr Tooth. But unless one has an EXTREMELY keen photographic memory, or was lucky enough to tape the show before the old logo was replaced, one can only IMAGINE what the original endings to those episodes looked like.

Take Kaye Ballard (season 1) for example--here are my personal hypotheses on what the original ending to this episode looked like (if anyone knows for sure please let me know):

Hypothesis #1: The logo and copyright dates suddenly superimpose themselves over the two-shot of Nigel conducting Rowlf the instant Rowlf strikes the final chord to the piano-solo closing theme.

Hypothesis #2: At the moment before Rowlf strikes the final chord, there is a rapid cut to a close-up of Rowlf as he strikes the chord with the logo and copyright dates superimposed over him.

Also, prior to seeing the still to the original generic season 1/2 ITC Zoot ending on the TMS season 1 DVD review (and my YouTube find that started this thread!), I was told by someone that at one point, Zoot actually blew the ITC logo out his sax. Given the fact that in the first two seasons, as revealed in the stills and YouTube video, Zoot does not blow the logo out his sax, is it safe to assume that this applied to seasons 3-5?

terrimonster

Reaction score
Also, prior to seeing the still to the original generic season 1/2 ITC Zoot ending on the TMS season 1 DVD review (and my YouTube find that started this thread!), I was told by someone that at one point, Zoot actually blew the ITC logo out his sax. Given the fact that in the first two seasons, as revealed in the stills and YouTube video, Zoot does not blow the logo out his sax, is it safe to assume that this applied to seasons 3-5?[/quote]

I seem to remember that something like this might have briefly been the case with the ha! logo. I'm not positive, but it seems mildly familiar from reruns on TNT.

David French

Reaction score
I agree with you Dr Tooth. But unless one has an EXTREMELY keen photographic memory, or was lucky enough to tape the show before the old logo was replaced, one can only IMAGINE what the original endings to those episodes looked like.

Take Kaye Ballard (season 1) for example--here are my personal hypotheses on what the original ending to this episode looked like (if anyone knows for sure please let me know):

Hypothesis #1: The logo and copyright dates suddenly superimpose themselves over the two-shot of Nigel conducting Rowlf the instant Rowlf strikes the final chord to the piano-solo closing theme.

Hypothesis #2: At the moment before Rowlf strikes the final chord, there is a rapid cut to a close-up of Rowlf as he strikes the chord with the logo and copyright dates superimposed over him.
The original ending does still exist on some copies - the logo is superimposed over a two-shot of Rowlf and Nigel. The review for the DVD of Season One has a screencap of the proper ending.

Also, prior to seeing the still to the original generic season 1/2 ITC Zoot ending on the TMS season 1 DVD review (and my YouTube find that started this thread!), I was told by someone that at one point, Zoot actually blew the ITC logo out his sax. Given the fact that in the first two seasons, as revealed in the stills and YouTube video, Zoot does not blow the logo out his sax, is it safe to assume that this applied to seasons 3-5?
The person who told you this got their logos mixed-up; in the 1980's Henson International Television (HIT!) bought the rights off ATV and changed the endings so that Zoot blows a bubble out of his sax on the final note with the copyright notice on it. This is the version of the endings that Buena Vista are using for the DVDs, sans bubble.

terrimonster

Reaction score
The person who told you this got their logos mixed-up; in the 1980's Henson International Television (HIT!) bought the rights off ATV and changed the endings so that Zoot blows a bubble out of his sax on the final note with the copyright notice on it. This is the version of the endings that Buena Vista are using for the DVDs, sans bubble.
I just realized I called HIT! "ha!" Oddly, I was probably thinking not of Henson Alternative, but the Comedy Central precursor by that name.

marycampbell

Reaction score
TMS Zoot Ending Found on YouTube

I love this. Especially how excited Animal was with his drums.:halo:

Dearth

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish we could have DVD's of the episodes exactly as they originally aired here in the US, without the changes to the ending.

Also, I'd like to find a clip of the Vincent Price episode where Uncle Deadly actually says the US-version "Guy Lombardo" instead of the UK-only "Jack Parnell".

Of course, discovering the additional UK skits for the first time on DVD was a nice tradeoff, so you take the bad with the good, I guess.

Dearth

rowlf

Reaction score
This definitely brings back memories!