Ol' Brown Ears' early days

turlem

Reaction score
Rowlf has to be my favorite muppet, along w/ S & W. But i've never seen any of his pre-muppet show appearances. Rowlf was on the jimmy dean show, Our place, and a dog food commercial. I also never saw any of the Jim Henson Hour. I need to see these, Rowlf has probably been dealt the biggest raw deal of all the muppets, considering his former fame. I was wondering if anyone knows how i may aquire, or at least view any of these appearances. Or if not,m describe his roles on these various programs.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I had nightmares of a KSY 2 for a moment then...!!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There are photos of Rowlf's early years: Jim Henson the Works is a book with some good early shots. I think there is some film footage on the video The World of Jim Henson (isn't that the name?). I'm sure the Museum of TV and Radio has something there, they have the Sam and Friends after all!

Drtooth

Reaction score
turlem said:
, Rowlf has probably been dealt the biggest raw deal of all the muppets, considering his former fame. I was wondering if anyone knows how i may aquire, or at least view any of these appearances. Or if not,m describe his roles on these various programs.

There's the age old question.. was Rolwf retired, or do they just have to get an official performer? Bill Baretta is working with him a bit, but I don't know if he's the official new Rowlf. We had a semi official Dr.Teeth for a while (John Kennedy) but now we don't...

But I have to admit, at least they are trying a little harder in recent years. Rowlf in MTI, MCC, and even MFS has been a short cameo, and in MFS he only groaned in one scene. Even if they don't have an official continuer for Rolwf, they're really using him, at least as a silent character in the background in EVERY scene (AVMMCM, he's throughout the thing, but he doesn't talk..)

They've managed to bring back Scooter, so maybe in the next project (whenever the heck that is) they'll use him more.

But I gotta admit, Rowlf in the assortment of Muppet Starbucks thingies... just had to get him...couldn't live without it!

turlem

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
There's the age old question.. was Rolwf retired, or do they just have to get an official performer? Bill Baretta is working with him a bit, but I don't know if he's the official new Rowlf. We had a semi official Dr.Teeth for a while (John Kennedy) but now we don't...

why isn't kennedy doing teeth now? and how come if they had teeth, they didn't have rowlf? they're practically the same voice, just rowlf is mellower

WiGgY

Reaction score
turlem said:
why isn't kennedy doing teeth now? and how come if they had teeth, they didn't have rowlf? they're practically the same voice, just rowlf is mellower
Well right now Bill is the performer for Rowlf. He doesn't talk much really. Actually he doesn't really talk at all when performing Rowlf. The only times Bill performered Rowlf and spoke were during the muppet show live and the making of video for Keep Fishing with Weezer.

Dr. Teeth is still performed by John and the character was used a few times in AVMMC, the only problem is that all the times Dr. Teeth was used they cut the scene. the Snoop Dog scene with the band was cut and the Irish Dance scene was cut short because it showed Animal being drunk and the censor didn't like the reference to irish drunkenness. Unfortunatly neither of those cut scenes are on the DVD. In fact many of the cut scenes were left off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for Bill... he's got the voice down pat, just slips into a Boboish riff now and then. But I think he's just working with him personality wise.

As for John, someone told me that he's no longer performing the good Doctor, so he's once again without an assigned performer...

But I am glad that a lot of Richard Hunt's characters have been reserrected, Scooter, the 2 headed monster, Janice, and Gladys the cow. So I guess we'll have to wait for the next project by Henson that doesn't involve more realistic looking talking dogs for us to really tell...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
We need more Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Janice, Scooter--and I'm happy as a hog at slop time that Fozzie, Piggy, and a few others are back!

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
We need more Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Janice, Scooter--and I'm happy as a hog at slop time that Fozzie, Piggy, and a few others are back!
I definately agree. I may like the Muppet Babies interpretation of Rowlf, but I prefer the classic Muppet. He's more than earned respect..he's a legend!

:sympathy:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
As for Bill... he's got the voice down pat, just slips into a Boboish riff now and then. But I think he's just working with him personality wise.
Yeah, I agree. If Rowlf would appear in more Henson productions with Bill performing the voice, we could all adjust to that.