Official: Elmo’s Staying Up Late Show coming to HBO Max on May 27, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of looking forward to this show. Elmo on talk shows is always gold, and Elmo interacting with celebrities is usually pretty great too! Hopefully we'll get some of that magic.

jeremystclair

Reaction score
See, my feelings are kind of the opposite: despite Elmo's constant state of happiness and such, his personality is such that he can kind of adapt to almost any kind of situation, scenario, or setting, while still remaining in-character and endearing as always . . . he can feel "real" with people. As much as I love Cookie Monster, Oscar, and Grover, they don't quite have the layered personalities to really pull off something like this, IMO . . . I suppose Oscar could be an even grouchier version of Letterman when he was younger, but Cookie Monster (especially David Rudman's more childlike Cookie Monster) doesn't quite have the engaging people skills, and as much as Grover has been arguably Flanderized in recent years, I can't see any talk show he attempts to host not end up a disasterous trainwreck . . . it might make for an amusing one-shot special (a la THE FANTASTIC MISS PIGGY SHOW), but the schtick would get really old, really fast for an episodic series.
I havent been following how has grover been flanderized

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'd like to reiterate - this isn't something that will supplant the main show in any way. Think of this like Play With Me Sesame, only less opportunities to see classic sketches re-run.

There's a lot of potential for fun here, though. Celebrity interactions can be great, musical performances, sketches, other Muppet appearances (Elmo needs a Ed MCMahon of some sort).

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I'd like to reiterate - this isn't something that will supplant the main show in any way. Think of this like Play With Me Sesame, only less opportunities to see classic sketches re-run.

There's a lot of potential for fun here, though. Celebrity interactions can be great, musical performances, sketches, other Muppet appearances (Elmo needs a Ed MCMahon of some sort).
What character would be for Ed MCMahon, I guess either Herry or Bert.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
There's a lot of potential for fun here, though. Celebrity interactions can be great, musical performances, sketches, other Muppet appearances (Elmo needs a Ed MCMahon of some sort
Oml, I would love it if Telly were Elmo's sidekick in this! But that won't happen, so i'll settle for Cookie. :smirk:

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Has there been any more info regarding this show? Or anything about Mecha Builders which is the new animated show.

Status
Not open for further replies.