Numbers - Swedish Animation

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, this series was made in Season 12, and originally, it did not have Maria or Gordon's voice. In fact, nobody talked at all. And also, originally, the longest jingle used to have the sound of a baby at the end. I don't know why it was there, but after a few years, I think when they added the voices, they took it out. And I think they started the voices in like 1984 or so. Also, Gordon did the ones for numbers 2 to 4, and Maria took care of 5 to 9.

Andy

Reaction score
The three dancing penguins, FYI used a piece of the same APM cue that the Hot Dog beginning/end skit (see my post above). I think that was the very last thing I watched on SS as a kid. Of course, I was in 4th grade at the time, so that shouldn't be a surprise!

mikealan

Reaction score
I've just had a dream about the Sweden Numbers animations last month about the number '10'. It was where a worm eats five purple grapes and five green grapes and then it fades to a '10' with the classic music at the end from most of the Sweden animations like 2 Giraffes, 4 Ducks and 7 Starfish. They never did Sweden animations for '10'! So I've planned to create a Sweden animation for the number '10' so it should be on the show soon or later.

ISNorden

Reaction score
More on the Swedish number cartoons

Drtooth said:
So, they were animated in Sweden? Interesting. These used to freak me out, the Bat one especially.... hey.... didn't they also have that elephant counting to 20 for an interminable amount of time? I did like the Monkey Button one.
Those cartoons were not only animated in Sweden, but also intended for a different children's show in that country. In addition to a translated Sesame Street, Swedish TV also aired a "homegrown" program that taught letters and numbers. The title of that show translates as "Five Ants Is More than Four Elephants"; the counting elephant was one of the show's mascots. In the original version, his offscreen voice also named the theme number for each cartoon. And yes, the elephant also had trouble counting to 20 in Swedish; the version I've heard over there has him getting stuck at 14.

Soul H

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed that for most of these cartoons, when they show the number the background is almost always pink?

Drtooth

Reaction score
At the risk of drudging up an old thread rather than starting a new one, I was looking at some of the Fem Myror cartoons (specifically ones that weren't used on Sesame Street), and I just wonder how many of these Sesame Street purchased and from what years they purchased them for use. Mainly because I was looking at this skit:

Which is speculated by the comments section of that video that it's clear this wasn't used because it was considered scary. Though, frankly the sketch bears a striking resemblance to one that always sent me flipping through the channels or running out the room, but no one else seemed to have complaints with:

Obviously we all know about the crapping donkeys skit which clearly couldn't be used in the US, and there are others that just seem to not be used on Sesame Street for various reasons. But there's something about the piranhas cartoon that looks a little different, almost later as far as animation goes. Perhaps another reason for it not being picked up is because it was made after they purchased a bunch to use on the show?